Alemans Effin North German Pilsner

Light Lager, CAP / CACA, Pilsner, Dark Lager, Amber Lager, Bock etc

Alemans Effin North German Pilsner

Postby Aleman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 16:45

Not aiming for anything specific just a 'generic' north German Pilsner. I'm planning on brewing two batches using more or less the same recipe for both, The first will be a 20L starter for the second 70L batch . . .I'm sort of going for the Latte hops of the beer world

For 20L at 1.046 and 39 IBU

3750g Lager Malt
250g Carapils

45g NZ Pacific Hallertau 4.4% AA FWH
40g Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.1% AA 15 Minutes
20g Hallertau Hersbrucker 2.8% 80C Steep.

I'll pitch this with about 40g of w34/70 and ferment at 12C for 4 or 5 days then I'll make this one

70l at 1.046 and 39 IBU

13120g Lager Malt
880g Carapils

135g NZ Pacific Hallertau 4.4% AA FWH
40g Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.1% AA 90 Minutes
100g Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.1% AA 15 Minutes
70g Hallertau Hersbrucker 2.8% 80C Steep.

And I'll pitch the fermenting wort from the first batch straight onto the fresh wort.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Re: Alemans Effin North German Pilsner

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 08:54

Looking into doing this in a couple of weeks. do you know what your gravity targets were?

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Aleman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 09:29

OG 1.046
FG 1.010

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby tommidolcetto » Thu Apr 23, 2015 09:38

The first will be a 20L starter for the second 70L batch . .

Is it necessary to hop the first batch? Surely any aroma additions will be lost in full batch?
tommidolcetto
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 09:41

Aleman wrote:OG 1.046
FG 1.010

Appreciated!

Also looking at yeast, you pitched 40g, which for me doing such a small brew is pretty costly. I've never made a starter before but from what i recall its not worth it with dried yeast so would I be better with going with something like WLP800 and making a starter?

Kegged:

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Aleman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 09:50

tommidolcetto wrote:The first will be a 20L starter for the second 70L batch . .

Is it necessary to hop the first batch? Surely any aroma additions will be lost in full batch?

Correct, in a way, The bittering hops, are required, as for the aroma hops it was just me wanting to keep the recipe the same for both batches.

Note that what I actually did was to tip the 70L batch onto the 20L batch to end up with a 90L batch, so as the 'starter' was more than 10% of the beer volume, it needed to be closer to the main recipe as I wasn't cooling it and just using the yeast.

krazypara3165 wrote:Looking at yeast, you pitched 40g, which for me doing such a small brew is pretty costly. I've never made a starter before but from what i recall its not worth it with dried yeast so would I be better with going with something like WLP800 and making a starter?

Always better using wet yeast, and I would recommend the South German Bock yeast as it is supposedly the same as W34/70

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 09:58

Cheers, thats WLP833?

Got an ale to brew this weekend, but as Im planning on doing this one in a couple of weeks and another shortly after I thought I'd better get everything in now to save on postage.

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Diggerg » Wed Jul 22, 2015 13:14

How did you get 39 IBU? I have tried to put this recipe into the biabacus I use and only come out with 7IBU using the same amounts of hops with similar AA content.

Fermenting 15ltrs Hobgoblin clone AG#2
Conditioning 12ltrs Irish Red AG#1
Drinking Strawberry and kiwi TC
Diggerg
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed Jul 22, 2015 13:35

Diggerg wrote:How did you get 39 IBU? I have tried to put this recipe into the biabacus I use and only come out with 7IBU using the same amounts of hops with similar AA content.

Have you noticed the 70l / 20l parts?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Diggerg » Wed Jul 22, 2015 20:42

Yes I have. You have put 39 IBU for both 20 and 70l parts. Just wondered how you got 39 IBU in the 20L bit? Or am I being daft?

Diggerg
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 20:49

How does biabacus calculate ibu? I use Tinseths formula. And those look to be the right amount of hops with the right alpha levels to hit 39 IBU in 20 an 70L of wort.

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Diggerg » Wed Jul 22, 2015 20:59

Yep biabacus measure in tinseth too. I'll try again but doing it as a 90l batch with whole hop schedule.

Diggerg
Brewer

Postby Diggerg » Fri Jul 24, 2015 19:41

I've just used a tinseth calculator and come up with 35 IBU for the fwh and 15 min additions. I will try the biabacus again.

Diggerg
Brewer

Postby Diggerg » Sat Aug 01, 2015 09:20

Seems that biabacus doesn't calculate IBU from fwh.

Diggerg
Brewer

Postby Diggerg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:38

After enquiring it appears that I have to enter full boil time and that then gives me the IBU give or take 2 points.

Diggerg
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 09:21

Starting this on bank holiday Monday, Whitelabs suggests optimum fermenting temp of WLP 833 is 9-13 degrees so I'm assuming I'm better off at around 9? also will I need to change the temp during fermentation or 'lager' this?

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink