Urban People's Common Lager

Light Lager, CAP / CACA, Pilsner, Dark Lager, Amber Lager, Bock etc

Urban People's Common Lager

Postby Good Ed » Mon Apr 07, 2014 21:58

Another one from over there, very nice, although I haven't brewed it for a while.

The recipe is from Adam at Linden Street Brewery in Oakland, California here , one of two beers they make, and this is a golden version, rather than the copper Anchor Steam. California Common was originally brewed in the Bay Area by German brewmasters to fuel the '49ers in the 1800's. At that time there were up to a hundred breweries in the Bay Area, most of which didn't survive prohibition. They used wide shallow fermenters with a lager yeast in the cool climate of San Francisco to come up with Steam Beer ("the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" Mark Twain).

The surviving brewery being Anchor Steam, the failing brewery bought by Fritz Maytag in 1965, who cleaned up the brewery and made it what it is today. They first brewed Liberty Ale in 1975 which was one of the pioneers of the American IPA movement.

Brew length 23L; 75% efficiency
Adam just gave me times for the hops plus the IBU, so the hopping is flexible

OG 1054
FG1012
IBU 39 (Tinseth)
3684g Marris Otter Pale Malt (70%)
526g Weyermann Carahell (10%)
526g Weyermann Munich I (10%)
526g Vienna (10%)
Mash 67C 90mins

30g Northern Brewer 9.91%AA 45mins 25.3 IBU
30g Northern Brewer 9.91%AA 15mins 13.7 IBU

WLP810 San Francisco Lager yeast at 15C

Here's to the man who drinks strong ale,
and goes to bed quite mellow.
Lives as he ought to live,
and dies a jolly good fellow.
- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Re: Urban People's Common Lager

Postby Philjobooboo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 18:44

Hi there looks like a nice beer, do you have the pre and post boil amounts for biab?

Bottled Coopers European Lager.... FV1 Cyrstal wheat beer (Pittys brew) ..... Planned Urban People's common lager
Philjobooboo
Brewer

Postby Good Ed » Sun Sep 28, 2014 20:25

Yes it is a nice beer, a good malt bill combines with good bitterness to give a good example of the California Common style, the beer of the Gold Rush. However I don't know about biab so can't help I'm afraid. My simple formula for pre boil volume for 23L is; 23L + dead space of boiler + loss due to hops absorption and displacement 1.6L/100g + loss due to evaporation 10% per hour + 1L due to loss of volume to cooling + 0.2L for sample = pre boil volume.

- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby Philjobooboo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 18:18

got it all in brewsmith and ingredients on order.I've been looking at the yeast profile online I'm thinking ferment @15'c for 10 days rack off and lager at 1'c for 6 weeks? whats your thoughts on that? Is 1 tube of yeast enough or make a starter?

Bottled Coopers European Lager.... FV1 Cyrstal wheat beer (Pittys brew) ..... Planned Urban People's common lager
Philjobooboo
Brewer

Postby Good Ed » Thu Oct 02, 2014 22:17

Philjobooboo wrote:got it all in brewsmith and ingredients on order.I've been looking at the yeast profile online I'm thinking ferment @15'c for 10 days rack off and lager at 1'c for 6 weeks? whats your thoughts on that? Is 1 tube of yeast enough or make a starter?

Ok, yes you need to make a starter. I treat this yeast (WLP810) like any lager yeast and you need to pitch big, say 450bn cells in 23L. So take your 1 vial make a starter with 200g DME and 2L, ferment out, chill, decant spent wort, then use this in a 4/4.5L starter (I use a gallon demi john) ferment out, chill, and on brewday decant spent wort and add 500ml of cooled wort from half way through your boil and this will be rearing to go when you are ready to pitch.

Now for fermentation 1 week at 15C then gradually raise to 19C over the course of a week with the last 3 days at 19C and it should have fermented out (you want about 1012), if not just give it more time. You will need to pitch at 15C or below. I don't secondary or lager with this yeast as there is no need, you can then crash cool for a few days, and just store for a few days at cellar temperature before bottling. You want to carb with about 135g glucose/sugar for 23L for this beer, about 2.5 volumes of CO2 or more.

Hope it goes well for you.

- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby Philjobooboo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 18:03

that's great thanks for the info I will do a write up when she's brewed :hat:

Philjobooboo
Brewer

Postby brugen » Fri Dec 19, 2014 23:09

Ed,

Tried your recipe as my first lager. I have a brew fridge so I was able to follow the temperatures ok. After two weeks my SG is only 1.020.

Any thoughts on whether I should increase, lower or leave the temperature as is at 19 C?

Thanks

brugen
brugen
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sat Dec 20, 2014 00:30

brugen wrote:Ed,

Tried your recipe as my first lager. I have a brew fridge so I was able to follow the temperatures ok. After two weeks my SG is only 1.020.

Any thoughts on whether I should increase, lower or leave the temperature as is at 19 C?

Thanks

brugen

Have you given it a stir yet? That would be the first thing.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Good Ed » Sat Dec 20, 2014 01:52

Well I would follow Rolfster's advise and give it a rouse, and keep it at the warmer temperature, whether this works will remain to be seen. This is a California Common, which is a bit of a hybrid lager, however as with all lagers it relies on pitching big with the yeast. Having said that the last time I used WLP810 with a Dunkel I also stalled at 1019, so these things can happen, even though this was the first time with me in many uses with this yeast as I usually get an average of 78% attenuation.

- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:30

I visited Fritz's brewery when I was in San Francisco in the 70's great place and good tour.

At the appropriate time of year they close the brewery down for a few days and the whole staff go off into the country to buy their grains for the upcoming year.

Fritz was initially financed by his family, they make washing machines in the US.

They also used to sell Anchor Steam here in the UK in flip top bottles, I think I still have a couple that I use but the labels are long gone!

Hop Tea - how to

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see HERE for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

Postby brugen » Sun Dec 21, 2014 17:01

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give it a good stir this evening and keep it at 19C.

Cheers

brugen
brugen
Brewer

Postby brugen » Fri Dec 26, 2014 19:16

The stir worked wonders. Today we're down to 1.008. Tomorrow I'll decant it to a secondary fermentor and gradually cool down to 10 C for a couple of weeks before bottling.

brugen
brugen
Brewer

Postby Good Ed » Sat Dec 27, 2014 20:02

brugen wrote:The stir worked wonders. Today we're down to 1.008. Tomorrow I'll decant it to a secondary fermentor and gradually cool down to 10 C for a couple of weeks before bottling.

brugen

That's good, let us know what you think of the beer

- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun Jan 04, 2015 22:11

Hi

Just putting together a shopping list and MM is out of Weyermann Munich 1. Do I get Weyermann Munich 11 or the standard Munich?
Cheers in advance.
R
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Good Ed » Thu Jan 08, 2015 14:52

Rolfster wrote:Hi

Just putting together a shopping list and MM is out of Weyermann Munich 1. Do I get Weyermann Munich 11 or the standard Munich?
Cheers in advance.
R

I'd go with the Weyermann II, it is just a little darker than the I. I've never used the Thos Fawcett Munich.

- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Thu Jan 08, 2015 15:41

Cool. Cheers for the reply.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby brugen » Mon Feb 09, 2015 20:19

Good Ed wrote:
brugen wrote:The stir worked wonders. Today we're down to 1.008. Tomorrow I'll decant it to a secondary fermentor and gradually cool down to 10 C for a couple of weeks before bottling.

brugen

That's good, let us know what you think of the beer

Ed,

UPCL came out great. Lovely red colour, unusual but pleasant malt taste, lovely head and a light bitterness.

Thanks for the recipe - I'll be brewing more.

Cheers

brugen
brugen
Brewer

Postby Good Ed » Mon Feb 09, 2015 21:36

That's good, well done. To me it has that bitter sweetness that is difficult to describe, and glad you liked the colour. It's not run of the mill, but that's good.

- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby brugen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 21:44

Ed,

Just drinking my third batch of this and it's just as good as the first.

Only reason for posting is to encourage any who haven't tried this to give it a go.

Lovely beer.

brugen
brugen
Brewer