Czech Dark Lager

Light Lager, CAP / CACA, Pilsner, Dark Lager, Amber Lager, Bock etc

Czech Dark Lager

Postby rlemkin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 21:04

I've got some respect for Czech brewing. I remember a few years ago in Prague being very impressed by the quality and price of the local lager.. It was a three day conference/seminar, but at the back of the room was a wee bar and boy did that make things go faster!

Flicking through to the Black Friday competition categories I spotted the Czech Dark Lager category and remembered a dark version of Budvar/Budweiser that was pretty nice. Let's face it.. do I really want to brew another Black IPA? Nah.. I know I can do that. Czech Dark Lager it is!

This will be my first lager and I'll be following this method - http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/ - for a quicker turn around. Should be ready in around a month and a similar system is used by many breweries.

This is adapted from a recipe in Gordon Strong's Modern Homebrew Recipes and I would certainly recommend the book as a fantastic jumping off point for styles that you're not familiar with. His recipe is based on U Flek which is only available at the pub where it's brewed in Prague.

Smooth palate with a creamy texture, rich bready and caramelly flavors with a mild, clean roasted character. Balanced bitterness with a spicy fresh hop flavor and aroma that blends well with the deep malt character.

Sounds no bad, ey? :party:

Czech Dark Lager - U Flek

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.04 %
Colour (SRM): 34.1 (EBC): 67.2
Bitterness (IBU): 33.5 (Tinseth)

49.3% Pilsner
30.6% Munich I
15.4% Medium Crystal ( sub for Caramunich III)
4.7% Carafa III Special malt

1.1 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort)
2.4 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. A double decoction is traditional, but not possible with my system pot. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 10°C with Mangrove Jacks Bohemian Lager

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: Czech Dark Lager

Postby StevieDS » Wed Sep 07, 2016 21:21

I was actually a little disappointed with the beers in Prague, though I'm not a huge lager fan. I had a couple of decent Matuska beers and there was a great little brew pub U Tri Ruzi which had a great quadrupel, but otherwise I wasn't too impressed. I didn't get to try the U Fleku though, and your recipe looks great.

I'm actually trying the Brulosophy quick lager technique at the minute with a kolsch, I have it ramped up to 20° now until it reaches fg. Then crashed to 0° for a few days.

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Planning: Brett Amarillo Smash
Fermenting: AG52 Brett Saison v2, AG41 Lambic v2.0
Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
Drinking: AG51 Brett Saison v1, AG53 Standard Bitter
StevieDS
Brewer