Hoppy Pale

Want someone to critique one of your recipes? post it here. Want a recipe for a particular style, ask here.

Hoppy Pale

Postby rlemkin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 13:58

Hell everyone, I'm trying to brew a nice hoppy pale in a similar vein to Brewdog's Dead Pony Club or Fyne Ales Jarl. I'm happy with the hop selection, I've used similar before and it comes out a bit like wine gums :cheers1:.

I'm less sure about the malt bill though. I want it to be sweet enough to let the really fruity flavours come though, but not cloying.

Any suggestions welcome :)
---
OG 1.040 - ~40IBU - ~4%

88% Pale 2-Row - 750g
5.5% Cara Malt - 50g
5.5% Carapils -50g

Mash 67c

--30 minute hopstand / Hops added at flameout--
Nelson Sauvin - 9g (2g/l)
Vic Secret - 9g (2g/l)
Galaxy - 9g (2g/l)

Dry Hop

Nelson Sauvin - 5g (1.1g/l)
Vic Secret - 5g (1.1g/l)
Galaxy - 5g (1.1g/l)

US-05
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: Hoppy Pale

Postby KevinS » Mon Dec 01, 2014 14:51

Really interesting question and in particular based on the 2 beers you are aiming for. I say that mainly because Dead Pony uses crystal whereas Jarl uses no crystal. Therefore if you wanted to clone Jarl, it might be worth mashing high or using a less attenuative yeast (s04?) to try and leave some residiual sweetness.

If you were going down the Dead Pony option, I think what you have seems pretty good! 11% is quite a bit of crystal, but at 40 IBUs and 4% ABV you will probably need that sweetness to balance the bitterness. So I wouldnt think it would come out cloying assumming the US05 attentuates like normal (75-80%)

Sounds like a really nice brew though. Will be interested to see how it comes out, not done too many 4% beers myself
KevinS
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 17:06

KevinS wrote:Really interesting question and in particular based on the 2 beers you are aiming for. I say that mainly because Dead Pony uses crystal whereas Jarl uses no crystal. Therefore if you wanted to clone Jarl, it might be worth mashing high or using a less attenuative yeast (s04?) to try and leave some residiual sweetness.

If you were going down the Dead Pony option, I think what you have seems pretty good! 11% is quite a bit of crystal, but at 40 IBUs and 4% ABV you will probably need that sweetness to balance the bitterness. So I wouldn't think it would come out cloying assumming the US05 attentuates like normal (75-80%)

Sounds like a really nice brew though. Will be interested to see how it comes out, not done too many 4% beers myself

Jarl really is disarmingly simple when it comes to ingredients, although I've never been as taken with it as some people. So I'll probably stick with the crystal :). Thanks for the comments. Mash on!

I've only tried to brew one beer weaker than this and that was 2.8% disaster of a 60 shilling :doh:, but after having quite a few mediocre 4% pales from otherwise good breweries I want to try and see if I can do better!
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Tue Dec 02, 2014 09:48

Most breweries suggest crystal for high abv IPA's but not for low abv pales because it stifles the hop character in an APA. Dead pony is very thin and dry whereas Jarl is a little heavier bodied. Mashing at 67c should leave enough body either way.

Hops look great.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 17:17

robwalker wrote:Most breweries suggest crystal for high abv IPA's but not for low abv pales because it stifles the hop character in an APA. Dead pony is very thin and dry whereas Jarl is a little heavier bodied. Mashing at 67c should leave enough body either way.

Hops look great.

I've made quite a lot of dry beer recently. I think that's probably due to faffing around pre-boil and not mashing out and thus not denaturing the enzymes. Will see how this comes out and think again about malts afterwards.

Brr , getting colder in the house - down to 16-17c in the brew cupboard. Probably the last brew of the year before moving in January.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby oakers73 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 22:09

Be really interested in this.Dead Pony Club is a fave of mine.
oakers73
Brewer

Postby abeyptfc » Tue Dec 02, 2014 23:04

rlemkin wrote:Hell everyone, I'm trying to brew a nice hoppy pale in a similar vein to Brewdog's Dead Pony Club or Fyne Ales Jarl. I'm happy with the hop selection, I've used similar before and it comes out a bit like wine gums :cheers1:.

I'm less sure about the malt bill though. I want it to be sweet enough to let the really fruity flavours come though, but not cloying.

Any suggestions welcome :)
---
OG 1.040 - ~40IBU - ~4%

88% Pale 2-Row - 750g
5.5% Cara Malt - 50g
5.5% Carapils -50g

Mash 67c

--30 minute hopstand / Hops added at flameout--
Nelson Sauvin - 9g (2g/l)
Vic Secret - 9g (2g/l)
Galaxy - 9g (2g/l)

Dry Hop

Nelson Sauvin - 5g (1.1g/l)
Vic Secret - 5g (1.1g/l)
Galaxy - 5g (1.1g/l)

US-05

Might need to change your hops if making Jarl mate, it's all Citra!
A hoppy blonde session ale
ABV:3.8% IBU:40 OG:1038 Hops:Citra Malt:Maris Otter Extra Pale Malt, Torrified Wheat
abeyptfc
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 23:43

Aye, but I'm not trying to clone Jarl :). I was really just thinking of <4% beers I like as inspiration for a recipe. One of the guys at the Brew Store in Edinburgh brought along his clone of Jarl the other month.. quite good. but I definitely prefer Dead Pony!

Oakers, I want to brew a real clone of it one day, but I'm happy messing around with the hops I have. Simcoe, Citra and Mosaic are in Dead Pony Club I think? Mosaic smells bloody fantastic..
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby oakers73 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 23:50

Rlemkin. I agree...i tend to mess around with ingredients in the style of beers I like. Some of my best beers have been made this way. ..
oakers73
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 22:03

Update time! Fantastic aroma on this one and really good taste. Problem is that I under-estimated the bittering from the hop-stand due to the low OG of the wort, so it's come out very bitter. Much tastier than Jarl mind, but I'm not the biggest fan ;)

I'm still really happy with this brew though.

It wasn't too sweet at all in the end. For next time I'm gong to add 50g of flaked oats for a bit more body and reduce the flameout hops by ~20% to tone the bitterness down slightly.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Wed Feb 18, 2015 13:28

Mixed feedback from the homebrew club. Plenty of people really liked it, but some found it too bitter and perhaps astringent. I'm still happy with the beer and have rebrewed a variant of it, but this time with more carapils/malt and a higher ABV.

Smells good, light and citrusy. Bit astringent,
Really flavour-full and hoppy.
Really good smell, a bit astringent, probably
would benefit from a higher ABV
Lovely aroma, a bit too bitter.
Orange smell and flavour. Lovely.
Very nice hop aroma and flavour. Not too bitter
in my view but astringent and thin.
Awesome aroma, quite astringent bitterness.
Liked the flavour. Nice and bitter. Aroma was a
bit herbaceous.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 18:48

Brewed this again. Added 5% oats and a different set of hops. Bramling Cross(3.5g/l), Motueka (1.5g/l) and Columbus (1.5g/l) this time around. Hop stand underway now. Almost time to chill and pop into the fermenter :)
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sat Nov 14, 2015 19:13

That's quite a different hop schedule, isn't it?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 19:17

Bad 'Ed wrote:That's quite a different hop schedule, isn't it?

The first time I've ever used a British hop... :whistle:

I've decided to experiment a bit more with hops and with the price of some US/NZ varieties it's no bad thing... I do love Vic Secret though.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 23:36

Approaching FG already. Buckets of aroma with definite hints of lime and berries. Doesn't carry through quite so well when tasting right now. Predominantly lemon which is probably the Motueka. Luckily the Columbus addition has faded into the background. Lovely almost slightly creamy mouthfeel (thanks to the oats I assume) which helps carry the hops. . I'm no fan of ridiculously dry hop monsters any more.

I don't normally sample a beer four days after brewing, but it's my first hoppy beer in about 8 months and given the low OG thought it was worth a shot and it certainly was! Happily finished the entire sample.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 18:26

Dry hopped. Need to stop sampling it now..
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 23:39

Down to 1.008. Too low for me and drags the ABV up to 5.5% given that I was over by a few points on the OG. Suffice to say I think the oats and this Bramling Cross(3.5g/l), Motueka (1.5g/l) and Columbus (1.5g/l) combination work really well. Can't wait to get drinking it.
rlemkin
Brewer