First Bock Recipe Feedback Please

Want someone to critique one of your recipes? post it here. Want a recipe for a particular style, ask here.

First Bock Recipe Feedback Please

Postby StevieDS » Wed Sep 03, 2014 14:40

I'm hoping to order the ingredients for my next few brews this week so would love some feedback on my recipes.
The first is a Helles Bock, recipe below...

Helles Bock Mark I
Maibock/Helles Bock

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 17.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.000
Total Hops (g): 70.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.066 (°P): 16.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.48 %
Colour (SRM): 6.1 (EBC): 12.0
Bitterness (IBU): 30.5 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 72
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Pilsner (40%)
2.000 kg Vienna (40%)
1.000 kg Munich I (20%)

Hop Bill
----------------
45.0 g Tettnanger Leaf (3.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
25.0 g Tettnanger Leaf (3.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 11°C with Wyeast 2206 - Bavarian Lager (Equivalent to WLP820 Oktoberfest Lager)

Any advice would be very welcome :hat:

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Planning: Brett Amarillo Smash
Fermenting: AG52 Brett Saison v2, AG41 Lambic v2.0
Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
Drinking: AG51 Brett Saison v1, AG53 Standard Bitter
StevieDS
Brewer

Re: First Bock Recipe Feedback Please

Postby mark1964 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 14:55

you could swap one of the hop additions for hersbrucker or mittelfrue hops they will work well :thumb:

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby StevieDS » Wed Sep 03, 2014 15:11

mark1964 wrote:you could swap one of the hop additions for hersbrucker or mittelfrue hops they will work well :thumb:

Agreed, hallertauer would be ideal though I have the tettnanger in stock so I'm just wanting to use it up (freezer is bursting with hops :shock: )

Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
StevieDS
Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 15:25

wish our freezer was. Only done one brew this year and only 2 types of hops in the freezer at present. Next week though I feel a large hop order coming :D

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 16:03

Looks a reasonable recipe, on the bitter end of the style, but it should be a bitter beer (in relation to other German beers). While the guidelines state Pils and Vienna and some Munich, you want to be careful that you don't go too far as you do not want to promote excessive colour development, if it was me I would drop the Munich to 500g, knock 500g off the Vienna and take the Pils up to 3Kg.

Can't go wrong with Tettnang as a hop, it's one of the 4 noble varieties, aiming for low to no hop aroma, so no late addition is good.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby StevieDS » Thu Sep 04, 2014 14:56

This will be my first time using Munich and Vienna malt so I'm not really sure what flavours they add.
How would your suggested reductions affect the flavour? A bit lighter, less rich?

StevieDS
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 15:03

StevieDS wrote:This will be my first time using Munich and Vienna malt so I'm not really sure what flavours they add.
How would your suggested reductions affect the flavour? A bit lighter, less rich?

Munich and Vienna malts contribute to the 'maltiness' of the beer, as well as increasing the body (slightly). Munich in particular also adds colour, which, with a Helles Bock, is something you want to avoid.

So the Munich and Vienna add maltiness to a standard helles beer . . . however with the increase in malt required to make a helles bock, anyway, which will add to the maltiness and body, you want to be careful about overdoing it, helles bock really is at the lighter end of the Bock beer style.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby StevieDS » Thu Sep 04, 2014 22:11

Good info there, thanks for that.

So modified grain bill then:

3.0 kg Pilsner malt (60%)
1.5 kg Vienna Malt (30%)
0.5 kg Munich Malt (10%)

StevieDS
Brewer