chocolate milk stout - recipe check

Want someone to critique one of your recipes? post it here. Want a recipe for a particular style, ask here.

chocolate milk stout - recipe check

Postby Eli_D » Wed Jul 23, 2014 15:17

Brewers and Brewsters can I ask you to run your eyes over a potential recipe for me?

A while back I tried to copy a chocolate milk stout (Lugene from Odell's which I love) however I found that my version lacked the body and the chocolateness and the the vanilla of theirs. So I contacted them and asked outright for help.

They sent me a list of the grains they use, that they use chocolate and not cocoa powder and the fact that they add vanilla in secondary.

Using their grain list I've come up with this recipe, I'm adding oats to give it more body although that wasn't listed in their email but how does the percentage of the grains look to you guys?

Batch Size: 10.00 l
Amount Name Type #
373.1 g Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)
170.4 g Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC)
200.0 g Amber Malt (43.3 EBC)
93.3 g Caramunich Malt (110.3 EBC)
2.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC)
250.0 g Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC)
11.8 g Goldings, East Kent [5.0%] - Boil 60 min
1 pkgs Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187)

Notes
Add chocolate to boil 200g milk and 100g dark
Add lactose to secondary with 2 vanilla pods

First time I've been interviewed for a brewing podcast - was terrifying.
No laughing at me!
http://www.eliapplebydonald.co.uk/blog/ ... g-podcast/
Eli_D
Brewer

Re: chocolate milk stout - recipe check

Postby KungFuRamone » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29

Looks OK to me. Not sure about adding chocolate bars in there though! :) But if you're trying to replicate what they do then go for it, but I'd personally go for nibs. I've used vanilla in the past, but I steeped the pods in a jar with a bit of vodka for a couple of weeks, the aroma and flavour was intense! Then you only need to add a little bit whilst it's conditioning to get the full effect. I'll be using this method for chocolate nibs too when I get around to re-brewing my Black Forest stout.
KungFuRamone
Brewer

Postby alanywiseman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:30

There was a thread at the other place about adding chocolate to beer. I would link but it seems my IP has been banned by some prick! If you can find it there was a member, Uncleplumb I think, who talked about adding chocolate to beer and how best to deal with it. His experence came from doing it in a professional batch so probably worth listening to.
alanywiseman
Brewer

Postby Eli_D » Thu Jul 24, 2014 13:26

thanks guys.

I used cocoa nibs last time and it smelled amazing in the fermenter but I didn't really get anything through after bottling.
Someone else mentioned that you may need the vanilla as well to balance things and make it "more chocolatey".

First time I've been interviewed for a brewing podcast - was terrifying.
No laughing at me!
http://www.eliapplebydonald.co.uk/blog/ ... g-podcast/
Eli_D
Brewer

Postby KungFuRamone » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:35

How did you get on with your recipe? I'm interested in how you got on with throwing chocolate bars in there.
KungFuRamone
Brewer