Dennis King's Galaxy Delight

Want someone to critique one of your recipes? post it here. Want a recipe for a particular style, ask here.

Dennis King's Galaxy Delight

Postby Trucker5685 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 19:44

This question is for anyone to answer not just Dennis. I've recently bought the above from the Malt Miller, on the page it goes through the ingredients and says to dry hop 40g of Galaxy hops.....but for how long?

This may be a daft question :doh: for an experienced brewer but this will only be my second AG so any other hints/tips would be helpful :thumb:

The Hole in the Wall Brewery

Can you recommend anything for a hangover?
Yeah, drink heavily the night before!

More enthusiastic than knowledgable!

Moved to 'The Darkside' in 2014
Trucker5685
Brewer

Re: Dennis King's Galaxy Delight

Postby GrowlingDog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 20:43

Personally I dry hop after the initial frantic period of fermentation is over. Usually after about 3 days. Then I leave the hops in the fermenter until I rack of into the keg or bottles.
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby GrahamT » Mon Jun 30, 2014 20:52

Well - Hopefully the man himself will be along, so you can have it from the horse's mouth. It's his beer, so probably do that!

For my own beers, if it's leaf hops in a hop sock, then a good few days (maybe a week). I tend to do it in a secondary bucket, unless I'm being lazy. I've blitzed them a bit first in a blender before too. I used Galaxy pellets (loose) instead on my own recipe last time and have used EKG pellets before too. Pellets often take up to a week to fully sink anyway, by which time I've chilled it down. I prefer pellets and have had much stronger results with them so far vs leaf hops for dry hopping.

Whatever you do, I think temperature is a factor as well as time, so maybe Dennis can divulge that too! :whistle:

Busy in the Summer House Brewery
GrahamT
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Mon Jun 30, 2014 22:15

I have only recently started to dry hop this recipe. At the home brew festival competition I spoke with the judge, who placed the beer second, and he said he felt it had lacked aroma. So now dry hopping for the last 3 days of fermentation. Glad to see Rob has sold at least one please let us know what you think. Not a beer to be drank to young. Even in polypins I leave it at least 4 weeks as it can be a bit too bitter if drank to young.
Dennis King

Postby Borischarlton » Mon Jun 30, 2014 23:06

Dennis, they are selling really well, customers are loving the idea of brewing another home brewers successful recipe.

Rob

Borischarlton
Vendor

Postby Dennis King » Mon Jun 30, 2014 23:08

Borischarlton wrote:Dennis, they are selling really well, customers are loving the idea of brewing another home brewers successful recipe.

Rob

:thumb:
Dennis King

Postby Trucker5685 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 02:34

Thanks for the replies, of course I'll let you know what I think of it Dennis, not sure when I'm doing it but it'll be in the next few weeks.
Just to double check (as I said it's only my 2nd AG) it's a 90 min mash @ 66*C & a 90 min boil? I'm trying to get the hang of beersmith2 :lol:

Trucker5685
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Tue Jul 01, 2014 08:50

Trucker5685 wrote:Thanks for the replies, of course I'll let you know what I think of it Dennis, not sure when I'm doing it but it'll be in the next few weeks.
Just to double check (as I said it's only my 2nd AG) it's a 90 min mash @ 66*C & a 90 min boil? I'm trying to get the hang of beersmith2 :lol:

Yes, times and temps. spot on. Can't help with beersmith never used it.
Dennis King

Postby Trucker5685 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 14:31

Dennis King wrote:
Trucker5685 wrote:Thanks for the replies, of course I'll let you know what I think of it Dennis, not sure when I'm doing it but it'll be in the next few weeks.

Yes, times and temps. spot on. Can't help with beersmith never used it.

Thanks Dennis

Trucker5685
Brewer

Postby Smudge » Sat Jul 05, 2014 17:59

Hi all, Apologies for hijacking this subject. I have just got this kit from Rob, and I am using it for my very first BIAB. With that in mind I am looking for some advice on water volumes. I have a 50l pot and there is 5kg of grain, I have looked at an apple app BIABCalc and its states I need 46.65litres of strike water for a 23litre brew? Seems a lot. Can anyone advise please.
Cheers

Moving with the present, while respecting the past.
Smudge
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Sat Jul 05, 2014 19:00

Smudge wrote:Hi all, Apologies for hijacking this subject. I have just got this kit from Rob, and I am using it for my very first BIAB. With that in mind I am looking for some advice on water volumes. I have a 50l pot and there is 5kg of grain, I have looked at an apple app BIABCalc and its states I need 46.65litres of strike water for a 23litre brew? Seems a lot. Can anyone advise please.
Cheers

Are talking about total liquor to use? I use 35lts but that's for a standard mash and sparge, not BIAB.
Dennis King

Postby Smudge » Sat Jul 05, 2014 19:19

Dennis, Yes but it would also it would be very helpful to know how much for the initial strike water and the amount used for sparging. As you can see from my question I am a complete novice to all grain/BIAB, but hopefully once I have a couple brews under my belt I will be OK.

Smudge
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Sat Jul 05, 2014 19:25

I use 15lts for mash and 20lts to sparge.
Dennis King

Postby Smudge » Sat Jul 05, 2014 20:06

Dennis King wrote:I use 15lts for mash and 20lts to sparge.

Thanks a lot for that.

Smudge
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Sat Jul 05, 2014 20:25

Smudge wrote:
Dennis King wrote:I use 15lts for mash and 20lts to sparge.

Thanks a lot for that.

:thumb: Let us know how it turns out.
Dennis King

Postby abeyptfc » Sat Jul 05, 2014 20:43

what beer did yours finish second to Dennis? :D Rob do you want to start selling my beer? :lol:
abeyptfc
Brewer

Postby geirfuglinn » Wed Sep 24, 2014 17:09

Hello there,

I have just got this kit and am looking forward to brewing it. It will be my first all grain batch, so just a noob question...
You say to mash with 15 liters and then sparge with 20 liter. This then gives a total of 35 liters, does that mean you have to boil of 12 liters as that does seem a bit much. Or is there something I have totally misunderstood?

Paula
geirfuglinn
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Thu Sep 25, 2014 09:02

geirfuglinn wrote:Hello there,

I have just got this kit and am looking forward to brewing it. It will be my first all grain batch, so just a noob question...
You say to mash with 15 liters and then sparge with 20 liter. This then gives a total of 35 liters, does that mean you have to boil of 12 liters as that does seem a bit much. Or is there something I have totally misunderstood?

Paula

Don't aim to boil off a certain amount of litres, just boil it for 90 minutes and see what your final volume is.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby GrahamT » Thu Sep 25, 2014 09:09

geirfuglinn wrote:Hello there,

Paula

Your grain will probably absorb 4 or 5 litres for a start and if there is any deadspace in your mash tun, that amount won't make it to the boil either.

Next step after this brew may be to get some free brewing software such as brewmate and enter various parameters, based on what you learn from this brew. You'll probably end up with some very nice beer if you get the basics right, but I'd advise you to make a note of your quantities, gravities (pre boil and post boil) as you go, so you you'll be better able to adapt next brew. Have fun!

Busy in the Summer House Brewery
GrahamT
Brewer

Postby Pakman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 20:28

:sorry: My Galaxy delight has turned into Galaxy Fright :oops: It was fermented during the last of the hot days and so has a bad taste. :ill:
I think it's destined for the drains :cry:
At least my next brew is now in the new fridge - shame I didn't get it sorted before doing the Galaxy Delight.
Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Thu Sep 25, 2014 20:30

Sorry to here that. What sort of taste is it.
Dennis King

Postby Pakman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:35

Dennis King wrote:Sorry to here that. What sort of taste is it.

It's a taste I've experienced in past brews - especially in summer. I describe it as the 'gloy gum' taste. (I remeber using rubber topped glue bottles at junior school and licking them to soften the hardened glue on top - a horrible taste but the nearest I can get to describing this one)
A good drinking buddy tried a small sample the other night and described it as sour. Our local micro-brewery sometime gets a similar, but less intensive, taste on light beers in the summer. I'm convinced it is as a result of fermenting at too high a temperature (fusel alcohols?)

Got my own grown Cascade beer (same grain bill, process etc - just different hops) in the fridge with no sign and that has no sign of the problem. :party:

Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Postby timtoos » Mon Dec 25, 2017 07:37

Sorry to bring back an old link.

I have just purchased the Galaxy Delight from Malt Miller. Cant wait to brew this one! Rob advised to leave this one for a few months to age so I intend to brew in time for the weather to start improving.

I just wondered what sort of water profile is recommended for this beer?

TIA

Tim
timtoos
Brewer