Light winter ale

Want someone to critique one of your recipes? post it here. Want a recipe for a particular style, ask here.

Light winter ale

Postby DaveS » Mon Nov 06, 2017 20:15

Current plan:
85% Extra Pale Maris Otter
10% Crisp Amber Malt (50 EBC)
5% wheat malt

Aim for about OG 1.048, 39 IBU. Late hop (5 minutes, hopstand, dry hop) to the tune of about 2g/l each with Northern Brewer. Ferment fairly cool with US-05.

The thinking here is mostly that I'd like to get an idea of what amber malt brings to a recipe, so I'm adding a good whack of it into a grain bill that I'm otherwise already fairly familiar with. I'd like to end up with a reasonably light winter session beer, and the description of Northern Brewer as being woody and herbal seems like a nice match for that.

Questions:
Do the proportions in the grain bill seem reasonable?
Is Northern Brewer a reasonable fit to the malts? I'd also wondered about using an unusual British variety like Flyer or Phoenix...
US-05? Or S-04? Or something else? I don't have temperature control so will be fermenting at slightly chilly ambient temperatures, ie about 15-20 degrees.

Thanks!
DaveS
Brewer

Re: Light winter ale

Postby robwalker » Mon Nov 06, 2017 22:24

Amber is kinda Sandy, biscuity, peppery, if that sounds right crack on! I would go with us-05, s-04 is a pain unless you can control it, us-05 will ferment between 12c-28c no bother!
NB is very nice but mind the high aa% when using late for aroma.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby DaveS » Fri Nov 10, 2017 00:40

That sounds good - I'll probably be brewing it after work tomorrow!
DaveS
Brewer

Postby DaveS » Tue Nov 14, 2017 00:21

By the way, is there a specific issue with S-04? Is it particularly temperature sensitive? I tend to assume that I'm fairly safe with any ale yeast at this time of year, in that the only risk is the temperature getting a bit chilly (mid teens) for a while, and that that'll slow things down but is unlikely to result in anything worse than that. Is this an oversimplification?
DaveS
Brewer