Millet Beer recipe advice please

Want someone to critique one of your recipes? post it here. Want a recipe for a particular style, ask here.

Millet Beer recipe advice please

Postby jkp » Wed Aug 16, 2017 22:12

Recently I found a source of malted Millet which started me think about gluten free brewing and whether I could do it. So I now have 4kg of it.

I don't actually know anyone who's intolerant to gluten, and yet here I am trying to brew a gluten free beer..... :scratch:

I am using my normal brewing setup so it won't actually be gluten free, but it's all about the experience.

Anyway, I know that some on here have tried it before, so what advice would you give?

Should I toast a bit to give some flavour depth?
Is a hoppy beer a good choice as to mask the lack of barley?
How fine do I mill the Millet?
And do I need to add enzymes to the mash?
What's the extract efficiency likely to be?

All advice welcome! Cheers!
jkp
Brewer

Re: Millet Beer recipe advice please

Postby jkp » Thu Aug 17, 2017 14:44

Here is a shot of the Malted Millet as it arrived to me. It actually smells a fair bit similar to Barley Malt, although perhaps a little more earthy.

MilletMalt.jpg
MilletMalt.jpg (131.78 KiB) Viewed 983 times

This stuff is commonly used as a form of herbal medicine, and as such it seems that their isn't much desire/need to remove the small roots from the malted millet. Here are all the roots I managed to remove. Is their any negative impact should some of these get into the mash?

MilletMaltShoots.jpg
MilletMaltShoots.jpg (108.11 KiB) Viewed 983 times

I decided to roast 200g of them at 140c for about 15min. They've turned a slightly more golden yellow and have a touch of bready/toasty aroma. Not sure if this is going to be enough to add some flavour, perhaps I should do a second 200g batch and roast a little darker.

MilletMaltRoasted.jpg
MilletMaltRoasted.jpg (159.41 KiB) Viewed 983 times

Still no recipe yet, but I'm starting to think that there is no point in making an overly hoppy beer if I want to know how well Millet stacks up against barley.
jkp
Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu Aug 17, 2017 15:24

Just found this tutorial, which seems to be very useful.

Thank goodness I don't need to do all that malting though!
jkp
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 21:49

No advice but interested in the outcome.
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Brewedout » Fri Aug 18, 2017 07:05

It will be interesting to see the outcome, hopefully it will be worth the effort. You could always split your batch to do two different hop levels.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Brewedout
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Fri Aug 18, 2017 09:31

Three things:

Do you have any idea how much sugar is in it? When I tried it the SG I got was much lower than reading stuff on the web had suggested. I ended up using amylase to get as much starch conversion as possible AND adding sugar to get a decent ABV.

Definitely wants a roast I only roasted lightly and got a very pale ale. Tasted good though.

Where'd you get it? I want some!
oldbloke

Postby jkp » Sun Aug 20, 2017 16:51

oldbloke wrote:Three things:

Do you have any idea how much sugar is in it? When I tried it the SG I got was much lower than reading stuff on the web had suggested. I ended up using amylase to get as much starch conversion as possible AND adding sugar to get a decent ABV.

Definitely wants a roast I only roasted lightly and got a very pale ale. Tasted good though.

Where'd you get it? I want some!

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I'm China, so my source isn't much help to you. It's apparently a traditional medicine over here, so perhaps not necessarily ideal for brewing with.
jkp
Brewer