Hoppy blonde

Want someone to critique one of your recipes? post it here. Want a recipe for a particular style, ask here.

Hoppy blonde

Postby DaveS » Wed Apr 19, 2017 00:01

Recipe help, please!

I'm interested in brewing a nice light fresh-tasting pale ale to have ready for the start of barbecue season. I'm quite keen to brew something relatively "clean" as a bit of a test of technique, and also to try out a late hop that I don't really know about, ideally something outside the US pine / citrus style. Hence I'm thinking about something like an American Blonde, but with maybe a bit more hop aroma than is traditional.

Current thinking:
95% pale base malt, 5% wheat ("for head retention and mouthfeel", as standard)
1.050 OG, bitter to about 40 IBU with something clean like Magnum.
Mash at 66, US-05 yeast, aiming for about 1.010 FG.

Questions:
What base malt? I'm currently wondering about Pilsner malt or extra pale Maris Otter.
What late hop, and how much of it? I'm interested in trying out something new, but I'm not sure whether to go for a classic that I haven't tried yet (eg Saaz, Styrian Goldings, Williamette) or to try something new and quirky.

Apologies that this is all a bit vague, I'd be grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks!
User avatar
DaveS
Brewer
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 00:21

Re: Hoppy blonde

Postby rlemkin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 00:24

I was thinking of re-brewing a blonde I brewed a while back and was very happy with. It won a silver medal at a competition in the end. Although it's a more complicated malt bill. Recipe here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=10543
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: Hoppy blonde

Postby HTH1975 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 07:48

I'd be inclined to use about 10% Vienna to add some character.

Try brewing a Kölsch - it would tick all of your boxes plus give you that fruitiness from the yeast.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
User avatar
HTH1975
Brewer
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 19:16
Location: Thirsk, North Yorkshire

Re: Hoppy blonde

Postby DaveS » Wed Apr 19, 2017 13:36

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm currently leaning towards Challenger as an aroma hop. I like the idea of starting with a very simple grain bill to see what character I get from just decent continental Pilsner malt or EPMO, and then modifying that with character malts in a future iteration of the recipe. I see this sort of thing as part of a learning process, and am still at a fairly basic stage at the moment!

Re Kölsch - do you need to lager it? It's an interesting idea, but I'm tempted to stick to a neutral US ale yeast for now...
User avatar
DaveS
Brewer
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 00:21

Re: Hoppy blonde

Postby robwalker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 14:48

I use ex pale commercially, it's a little prone to dms so you'll need to cool quickly but shouldn't require extra steps. It's kind of suitable for lager, but much better for the style you're trying to brew.
Also use Bobek a lot, I'm not that mad on it, it's only OK - challenger is much nicer, but my favourite Hop for these sorts of beers is definitely willamette.
Saaz is awesome too and I find it very clean, pleasant and perfumey compared to Bobek, great for summer ales.
User avatar
robwalker
Brewer
 
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 18:55
Location: Longbridge, Birmingham

Re: Hoppy blonde

Postby DaveS » Wed Apr 19, 2017 17:02

I think I'll probably go with EPMO / Challenger - keep it all English (apart from the yeast, as it stands).

Late hopping probably something like 1 to 1.5 g/l at each of 10 mins, 0 mins and dry hop.
User avatar
DaveS
Brewer
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 00:21

Re: Hoppy blonde

Postby HTH1975 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 20:23

robwalker wrote:I use ex pale commercially, it's a little prone to dms so you'll need to cool quickly but shouldn't require extra steps. It's kind of suitable for lager, but much better for the style you're trying to brew.
Also use Bobek a lot, I'm not that mad on it, it's only OK - challenger is much nicer, but my favourite Hop for these sorts of beers is definitely willamette.
Saaz is awesome too and I find it very clean, pleasant and perfumey compared to Bobek, great for summer ales.


How do you find Willamette? - it's commonly described as US-grown Fuggle. Nothing bad about that, but does it have more fruity notes being grown in a warmer climate?

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
User avatar
HTH1975
Brewer
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 19:16
Location: Thirsk, North Yorkshire

Re: Hoppy blonde

Postby robwalker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 20:38

HTH1975 wrote:
robwalker wrote:I use ex pale commercially, it's a little prone to dms so you'll need to cool quickly but shouldn't require extra steps. It's kind of suitable for lager, but much better for the style you're trying to brew.
Also use Bobek a lot, I'm not that mad on it, it's only OK - challenger is much nicer, but my favourite Hop for these sorts of beers is definitely willamette.
Saaz is awesome too and I find it very clean, pleasant and perfumey compared to Bobek, great for summer ales.


How do you find Willamette? - it's commonly described as US-grown Fuggle. Nothing bad about that, but does it have more fruity notes being grown in a warmer climate?


It's definitely different to the UK and Slovenian aroma hops, I noticed grass and honey, very pleasant in a standard pale.
User avatar
robwalker
Brewer
 
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 18:55
Location: Longbridge, Birmingham

Re: Hoppy blonde

Postby HTH1975 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 23:12

I've still got a bunch of Willamette left, so I can see a pale ale being made with them.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
User avatar
HTH1975
Brewer
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 19:16
Location: Thirsk, North Yorkshire

Re: Hoppy blonde

Postby DaveS » Sun Apr 23, 2017 14:16

I brewed this yesterday, by the way. Seemed to go alright - now the waiting begins!
User avatar
DaveS
Brewer
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 00:21

Re: Hoppy blonde

Postby HTH1975 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 18:09

DaveS wrote:Re Kölsch - do you need to lager it? It's an interesting idea, but I'm tempted to stick to a neutral US ale yeast for now...


I fermented it at 16C 'ish I seem to recall, then aged it at 12C for a few weeks. Never truly lagered it.

Was a nice fruity number. Good esters too. Used it for a pale ale since then.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
User avatar
HTH1975
Brewer
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 19:16
Location: Thirsk, North Yorkshire


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest