1st Pilsner

Want someone to critique one of your recipes? post it here. Want a recipe for a particular style, ask here.

1st Pilsner

Postby Jeltz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 17:13

OK once the fermentation fridge is free I'll be doing a Pilsner, hoping that we'll get some good cold weather to lager it! I will probably brew soon and cube the resulting wort while the current brew finishes doing its thing.

I was given 5kg of Bohemian Pilsner malt and 100g of Saaz (2.9%AA) for my birthday and I have ordered 2 packets of Mangrove Jack's Bohemian Lager Yeast M84. I'm planning on using RO water, should I re-mineralise at all and if so with what?

I shall mash as along the lines of the Braumeister website so :-
- dough in at 38°C,
- 45 minutes @ 63°c
- 25 minutes @ 73°C
- 10 minutes mash out @ 78°C
- 6L sparge @ 78°C

Ferment at 12°C for 3 weeks then crash cool. I can change the fermentation temperature as we go along if that is more sensible, maybe ramp it up a bit for the 3rd week before crash cooling?

Once kegged I shall force carb and lager for as long as I can then drink in the sunshine which shall be plentiful from April on :rofl:

Any thoughts or tips on this one.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Re: 1st Pilsner

Postby Jeltz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 17:26

Another thought I could run off 2L of wort before cubing and make a starter from 1 packet of the yeast then pitch one packet of dry yeast and the 2L starter I made up.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Pjam » Mon Nov 21, 2016 17:37

I've never brewed a Pils / Lager and I don't have the yeast. Shame.......... it's 12C outside at the mo.

Good luck with yours. Looks good.
Pjam
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Mon Nov 21, 2016 18:47

Jeltz wrote:Another thought I could run off 2L of wort before cubing and make a starter from 1 packet of the yeast then pitch one packet of dry yeast and the 2L starter I made up.

I didn't think starters worked so well with dry yeast?
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Saccharomyces » Mon Nov 21, 2016 19:23

Czech pilsners are a treat any time of the year, I'd be surprised if you make it to spring before packaging the beer!

I would always cool the wort as quickly as possible with a lager to reduce any DMS, I assume from your post you are no-chill cubing? I don't know if that is going to work.

If you are planning on lagering, I guess you have a few options depending on the pitching temperature and yeast performance. I usually D-rest at 15C for two days as the beer approaches terminal gravity, rack and hold the beer at 4-5C for 7-10 days (slow cooling from 15 to 5). I then lager at 0-1C for about 40 days (5days to 1 week for each 2 degrees Plato).

Crash cooling is a gamble. Using ambient conditions for lagering is even more of a gamble, temperature swings ruin lagers in my experience. If you live in the Alps, you can pack snow and ice around your lagering vessel, over here it isn't usually an option!
Saccharomyces
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 19:34

Best of luck with your lager.

I'm bottling my first (5L) attempt at a Pilsner tonight. I've also got another 25L that I need to bottle soon - that's an imperial pilsner (7.5%).

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 19:46

Seems like I might need to do another beer first to get stocks up and then brew when the fermentation fridge is free and lager in the fridge. I can cool with an immersion coil so between that and the fermentation fridge there's no problem getting it to pitching temp. Unfortunately the fridge will only go to 3.5°C so that will have to do.

I use a fast ferment conical so I can simply remove the settled yeast without the need for racking.

If I like the result then I might just have to install a largering freezer in the garage!

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Aleman » Tue Nov 22, 2016 02:46

Someone wrote some pretty good stuff about Bohemian Pilsner on here a while back. . . . Might be worth doing a search for Bohemian Pilsner by Aleman ;)

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby john luc » Tue Nov 22, 2016 03:48

Keep your water as RO and just add a tiny amount of Calcium Chloride,about 3 grams. Make sure you have enough yeast as you need alot more yeast for Lager than a Ale. A good healthy yeast pitch into that recipe will give you a good Pilsner
john luc
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Nov 22, 2016 08:10

I've said it before and I'll say it again , it is a fallacy that Bohemian Pilsner brewers brew with almost pure water. I have seen Czech brewers add ware treatment salts to their liquor. A mix of both calcium chloride and calcium sulphate to take the calcium level to at least 40ppm if not further.

A Pilsner grist with distilled water will end up with a mash pH higher than 5.7.

If you want to be forced into an extended lagering period to achieve clarity brew with low calcium content liquor, if not take your calcium levels up to at least 40-50 ppm.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Springer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:10

Jeltz wrote:Seems like I might need to do another beer first to get stocks up and then brew when the fermentation fridge is free

Looks like you are in the same position as me, limited beer stocks again. :oops: I really need to get something going for Christmas and have always planned on a lager of some type! for the summer season, which to me is the best time to drink it. :D So a brew of lager after christmas is my plan, plenty of cold weather or a fridge will do it fine.
There is a formula for lagering time at certain temperatures on here I think, the colder the quicker :)
So for me christmas stock and then lager time.............to many jobs on at the moment, but this one is important :lol:
S

It's a dog life :D
Springer
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:50

The 'Epic' Thread' :D
A Water Thread

I've gone as far as a 1:4 sulphate to chloride ratio (at 60ppm calcium) and I think that is just too malty . . . more recently my experiments have been at the 1:2 point and while it's an improvement, I may well be moving even closer to a 1:1, but I'm not that convinced it will make a major difference.

One thing I've not commented on is yeast, and if you are pitching cold at or just below fermentation temp, my preferred option, then you need lots of it 75g of dry yeast is NOT over pitching! One thing I have noticed with dry yeast is that it often performs better in a subsequent batch rather than the first, although my preferred option is W34/70 and that can be funky when pitched dry, but pitching the slurry is incredibly crispy.

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby john luc » Tue Nov 22, 2016 13:02

Second time around for all yeasts seems to be best. Every brewer I know using wet or dry state that. Oh your right about having plenty of calcium as it is the one that has lots of benefits throughout the brew. Would you recommend adding more in the boil as so much gets left in the mash.
john luc
Brewer

Postby john luc » Tue Nov 22, 2016 13:13

Sorry Aleman, my question about adding calcium in the boil is in your super thread that I clicked and read. You should get your overpaid IT team :rofl: to make that a stickie so it can be easily seen. :hat:
john luc
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Tue Nov 22, 2016 20:57

Executive decision made and Epic thread stuck :thumb:

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Springer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 21:41

john luc wrote:Sorry Aleman, my question about adding calcium in the boil is in your super thread that I clicked and read. You should get your overpaid IT team :rofl: to make that a stickie so it can be easily seen. :hat:

:D :lol:
S

It's a dog life :D
Springer
Brewer