Lagunitas clone from BYO, can't work it out!

Want someone to critique one of your recipes? post it here. Want a recipe for a particular style, ask here.

Lagunitas clone from BYO, can't work it out!

Postby blinky » Tue Nov 08, 2016 13:45

Hi folks,

I'm trying to work out the recipe for lagunitas that's on this page, https://byo.com/hops/item/153-attack-of-the-hop-clones
I have put in the th ingredients to brewersfriend but I can't get the IBU anywhere near the claimed 67 with the quantities in the recipe! Mine comes out to 45, any ideas? Here is my recipe..... http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... unitas-ipa

Craig
blinky
Brewer

Re: Lagunitas clone from BYO, can't work it out!

Postby StevieDS » Tue Nov 08, 2016 14:52

I'm getting around 48 IBU with that recipe in Brewmate. Maybe it's due to the fact that it says to add the flameout hops then wait for 15 mins before cooling?

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Planning: Brett Amarillo Smash
Fermenting: AG52 Brett Saison v2, AG41 Lambic v2.0
Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
Drinking: AG51 Brett Saison v1, AG53 Standard Bitter
StevieDS
Brewer

Postby blinky » Tue Nov 08, 2016 15:02

Could be, I'm thinking that my last couple of beers have been more bitter than I expected and was putting that down to flameout hops adding a few more IBU than expected. The other thing is the colour, again I can't get it anywhere near what the recipe on the page says and finally.....there is no dry hops, I would have thought that beer would have loads?
blinky
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 15:45

Beersmith has a pretty reliable flame out hop Ibu calculator. I'd say the same, at 45 ibu there isn't much risk of making a bad pint away.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Saccharomyces » Tue Nov 08, 2016 17:51

It should be 51.5 Ibu, according to the brewery. Typo, or perhaps this is the bottle recipe and the keg IBU.
Saccharomyces
Brewer

Postby blinky » Wed Nov 09, 2016 23:12

Cool, thanks folks..... What about the hops? Only 7g of williamette at 30mins and no dry hops? Have seen a few recipes also claiming to be clones where they have a big dose of Cascade dry hop or alternativly a mix of Cascade and Centennial at 30min and for the dry hop - I cant decide what to go for! Wondering if the mix of centennial and cascade might be better???
blinky
Brewer

Postby Saccharomyces » Thu Nov 10, 2016 09:12

Most IPAs benefit from a good dose of dry hops. I would go with the Brewing Network or HBT recipe if it were me, just taste the beer before you dry hop it and adjust the dosage. I've not brewed Laguinitas IPA, but the clones I have attempted from these two sources have the benefit of being refined by forum users and are quite close as a result ;)

BTW, I thought the brewery had their own house strain, similar to the Fullers yeast, I'd make sure of the yeast as it will play a part in perception of the flavours and the attenuation.

Good luck
Saccharomyces
Brewer