House Pale Ale

Want someone to critique one of your recipes? post it here. Want a recipe for a particular style, ask here.

House Pale Ale

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun Jul 03, 2016 07:39

I'm looking to develop a house pale ale which I can change slightly every time I brew it. However, every time I've tried to create a recipe in the past I've been disappointed with the result. The beer has tasted unbalanced so 99% of the time I brew from established recipes. To that end, does anyone have a view on the following beer? I'm looking for a stereotypical typical English pale:

- OG 1040 ~4%
- 35 IBU
- 16 EBC (Using Beersmith's assumed EBC colours which I'm not too sure of)

- 85% MO
- 6% Crystal 60
- 6% Wheat
- 3% Oats

- 30g Challenger at 90
- 20g Mosaic at 10
- 20g Mosaic at 0

The hops will obviously change more frequently than anything else. I've been enjoying English pales with a fruity twist of American hops recently, hence the mosaic. I've probably got cascade, citra etc in the freezer somewhere which will no doubt make a late stage appearance at some point.

The oats are in there because I've always had a bit of an issue with head retention.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Re: House Pale Ale

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Sun Jul 03, 2016 08:11

Quote.
"The oats are in there because I've always had a bit of an issue with head retention". Unquote

Maybe you should call it " Anne Boleyn Pale Ale" she had a problem with head retention :clap: :clap:

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sun Jul 03, 2016 08:30

Ed, your beer is probably too hoppy at that OG and you'll find it overrides anything that the malt will lend to your beer, probably making the esters appear sharp/sour/rough too.

My house ale (all I brew at home now) is 1.038 extra pale MO, 27 Ibu and dry hopped only with 100g of whatever I feel like (Amarillo, equinox last two.) It's nicely balanced and tastes like a less sweet APA.

Have a look at the hop you are using in your 10 min stage on Hopunion too. If it's quite high in cohumulone (30%+) then avoid using it late as it'll add an assertive bitterness. If it's high in myrcene (30%+) then carry on.

I've never found the beers you've given me unbalanced though so maybe it's your palette ;)
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun Jul 03, 2016 15:58

Thanks for the tips Rob.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer