Pliney the blind Limey

Want someone to critique one of your recipes? post it here. Want a recipe for a particular style, ask here.

Pliney the blind Limey

Postby Brewzee » Fri Apr 13, 2018 06:45

My nephew was over from USA and a trip to a brewery in Bury St Edmond was not the experience of drinking an IPA from the spring in the center of the garden of Eden that he expected. After some wailing and nashing of teeth we decided to brew a hybrid clone of RussIan Rivers Pliney the Elder and Blind Pig. 350 grams of very expensive hops and a couple of weeks later I have 16 liters of very wonderful beer. But that kind of hop generosity is unsustainable with those varieties. So my question is what UK hops could be used instead of, Simcoe, Colombus, centennial and Amarillo to brew a Pliney that speaks with an English accent. That or I might continue my DIPA odyssey in a economic manner with an arrogant bustard made with target ?
Brewzee
Brewer

Re: Pliney the blind Limey

Postby LeithR » Fri Apr 13, 2018 20:31

If you look on the internet for hop equivalents or substitutions you should get a fair list of them like
http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

Hop Tea - how to

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see HERE for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

Re: Pliney the blind Limey

Postby HTH1975 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:53

I’d use something like Challenger or Magnum for bittering and save the expensive juicy hops for your late additions.

Can you post the hop schedule?

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer