Versatile Yeast

IPA, Pale Ales And Bitters, Mild, Brown Ales, Old Ale, Porter & Stouts etc

Versatile Yeast

Postby rodwha » Fri Dec 18, 2015 17:07

I love Old Speckled Hen and have been trying to brew something similar. I've only used S-04 dry yeast and want to work with a liquid strain that I can keep going which means I'll need to brew various British style beers. Of those I'd likely brew an IPA, an old ale, and a barleywine. I may even brew a strong mild and northern brown, along with a stout.

Going over a clone recipe for OSH I see that Thames Valley was used. Yet it doesn't cross over to the other beers I'm interested in. I have checked out White Labs. Wyeast shows that London III is the most versatile yeast. What say you?

I'm not looking to clone anything but am aiming to come close. I love OSH above all the others I've tried and really like Samuel Smiths IPA and oatmeal stout.

I have one more packet of S-04 yeast that I think I'll save a sample of for future brewing as I've done with US-05.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
rodwha
Brewer

Re: Versatile Yeast

Postby rlemkin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 17:48

London Ale III is 'hot right now' in the US for IPAs. I think either that or S-04 would do just fine as a house yeast.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby GrahamT » Fri Dec 18, 2015 18:37

WLP007 is reportedly the same strain (Whitbread B) as S-04, so that would be a tidy step. Not much of a top cropper though, if you're harvesting.

Busy in the Summer House Brewery
GrahamT
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Fri Dec 18, 2015 19:20

I boil water (3.8 L) and cool it then swirl it on the yeast cake and "wash" it. Then to keep it going I make a larger starter and save the remainder so as to be easier and quicker, and with less chance of issues. Should be cleaner that way.

Thanks for the info on S-04!

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
rodwha
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Fri Dec 18, 2015 21:03

Can't go wrong with either WLP002 or WLP013.
Dennis King