1890 Export Stout

IPA, Pale Ales And Bitters, Mild, Brown Ales, Old Ale, Porter & Stouts etc

1890 Export Stout

Postby rlemkin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 15:55

Based on the recipe available here - http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/lets-brew-wednesday-1890-truman-export.html - from Ronald Pattinson of Truman's 1890 Export Stout. It's also thought to be the base for the Kernels fantastic 1890 Export Stout. This is enough of a reason for me to attempt to brew it.

Very minor changes to the recipe on his website:-

- Dropped IBU - from ~100 IBU to around 60
- Dropped gravity - from 1.075 to 1.070
- Altered hop schedule - 60, 15, 10, 5 vs 60 & 30.
- Using London Ale III

Open on hop ideas. Will probably lean into the varieties I have open, namely First Gold and Herkules for bittering. Although Bramling Cross would be nice.

1890 Stout (Foreign Extra Stout)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.070 (°P): 17.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 7.15 %
Colour (SRM): 55.7 (EBC): 109.7
Bitterness (IBU): 62.2 (Average)

77% Maris Otter Malt
14% Brown Malt
9% Black Malt

0.9 g/L Herkules (16% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L First Gold (7.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
2.2 g/L First Gold (7.9% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
3.3 g/L First Gold (7.9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)


Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1318 - London Ale III

Notes: Lowered target OG fom 1.075

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby HTH1975 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 19:40

Bet this will be nice - yummy!

I've got some Brambling Cross, but yet to use it - should work for the style. I'd be tempted to use it for aroma/flavour.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
User avatar
HTH1975
Brewer
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 19:16
Location: Thirsk, North Yorkshire

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby Kyle_T » Mon Jul 25, 2016 07:07

This similar to my 1850 porter, with that amount of roasted malts you would probably be wiser to leave the IBU at 100 is and let it age longer

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
User avatar
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer
 
Posts: 2487
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 14:27
Location: Chelmsford, Essex.

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby HTH1975 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 13:50

All of the imperial stout recipes I've read have a longer boil than normal - at least 90 mins. You might not get the gravity you want or the desired level of caramelisation in the wort in 60 mins.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
User avatar
HTH1975
Brewer
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 19:16
Location: Thirsk, North Yorkshire

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby jaroporter » Tue Jul 26, 2016 00:00

wouldn't neccessarily say those are very minor changes but with the first gold it sounds like it could be very tasty in it's own right so i'm interested in the outcome! :D
User avatar
jaroporter
Brewer
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 13:21

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby rlemkin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:45

Kyle_T wrote:This similar to my 1850 porter, with that amount of roasted malts you would probably be wiser to leave the IBU at 100 is and let it age longer


I might regret it, but we'll see. BU:GU ratio is about 1:1 now @ 63 IBU. Given that I'l only get about 15 bottles of it I won't age for a long time. Will see how it turns out, easy to rebrew closer to the original recipe.

HTH1975 wrote:All of the imperial stout recipes I've read have a longer boil than normal - at least 90 mins. You might not get the gravity you want or the desired level of caramelisation in the wort in 60 mins.


I ended up boiling for two hours. The original recipe actually specified a three hour boil.

jaroporter wrote:wouldn't neccessarily say those are very minor changes but with the first gold it sounds like it could be very tasty in it's own right so i'm interested in the outcome! :D


I guess the changes do add up. Not to mention I was over gravity and liquored back ... too far .,. ending up with an OG of 1.064. Recipe also included dry hopping, although I'm not sure if I want to?
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby Kyle_T » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:46

You won't regret it mate. It'll still make a smashing beer. It might not balance quite the same but that is about it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
User avatar
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer
 
Posts: 2487
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 14:27
Location: Chelmsford, Essex.

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby rlemkin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:00

Kyle_T wrote:You won't regret it mate. It'll still make a smashing beer. It might not balance quite the same but that is about it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk


Cheers! I'd love to know how true to the recipe The Kernel stayed. I'll keep a few beers aside, provided nothing goes wrong, for anyone from the thread who fancies one.
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby Kyle_T » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:05

Once the new kit is up and running I will be making another batch of 1850 Porter using Phoenix hops and a slight malt change, if you'd be interested in a swap?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
User avatar
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer
 
Posts: 2487
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 14:27
Location: Chelmsford, Essex.

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby rlemkin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:21

Kyle_T wrote:Once the new kit is up and running I will be making another batch of 1850 Porter using Phoenix hops and a slight malt change, if you'd be interested in a swap?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk


Definitely. That sounds fantastic. This is my first attempt at anything vaguely based off a historic recipe, but I certainly like the idea. I've bought a few in the past. Luckie Ales up here have done a whole load of old Scottish recipes. In fact I think they specialise in historic brews but the few I've tried haven't been to my taste, but then again I've not found a single bottled Scottish ale that can compete with cask.
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby Kyle_T » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:37

There is a lot more to making a "historically accurate" beer than just using an old recipe as I have discovered. The techniques and methods involved were a lot different than today's current standards, including malting. I'd like to find a historical barley and use that for a change.

I would also like to try making some brown malt at home and doing a brown malt beer as was typical of the 18th and early 19th century.

The best one I have found to date is Elland's 1872 Porter, 6.5% and absolutely lush!

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
User avatar
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer
 
Posts: 2487
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 14:27
Location: Chelmsford, Essex.

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby Lanky94 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 02:34

Kyle_T wrote:There is a lot more to making a "historically accurate" beer than just using an old recipe as I have discovered. The techniques and methods involved were a lot different than today's current standards, including malting. I'd like to find a historical barley and use that for a change.

I would also like to try making some brown malt at home and doing a brown malt beer as was typical of the 18th and early 19th century.

The best one I have found to date is Elland's 1872 Porter, 6.5% and absolutely lush!


Would you mind posting the recipe for the 1872 porter please Kyle?
User avatar
Lanky94
Brewer
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 02:58

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby rlemkin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 16:10

Brewclub notes.
Roasty as anything, like chewing on black malt. Love it or hate it sort of beer.


A fair few people liked it, but equally, some people did not. However, a couple of folk said it was similar to the Kernel's 1890 Export Stout, which was my aim so I'm pretty happy :whistle:

My NHC judges hated it.. 16. My lowest score ever :thumb:
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby StevieDS » Wed Sep 14, 2016 18:32

rlemkin wrote:My NHC judges hated it.. 16. My lowest score ever :thumb:

Yikes, what were the reasons given for such a low score?

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Planning: Brett Amarillo Smash
Fermenting: AG52 Brett Saison v2, AG41 Lambic v2.0
Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
Drinking: AG51 Brett Saison v1, AG53 Standard Bitter
User avatar
StevieDS
Brewer
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 15:14
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: 1890 Export Stout

Postby rlemkin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 21:12

StevieDS wrote:
rlemkin wrote:My NHC judges hated it.. 16. My lowest score ever :thumb:

Yikes, what were the reasons given for such a low score?


No idea. I think they're in the process of getting the scoresheets sent out now. Probably lost a lot for being out of style. Still it's such a bad score. My 'historical' description wasn't full enough, so had to go in Foreign Export Stout as it was too strong for Dry Stout. :hmm: :drink:
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest