Slightly cloudy Star San wtf?

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Re: Slightly cloudy Star San wtf?

Postby rpt » Mon Aug 17, 2015 19:43

RidleyRumpus wrote:Wouldnt boiled kettle water or water boiled in the HLT work?

Doesn't get rid of any of the minerals. You would have to collect the water vapour i.e. distill the water.

rpt
Brewer

Postby Kebal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 20:24

is the water that window cleaners use in their pure water pole systems acceptable to use with star san ?
Kebal
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 21:53

Water from a dehumidifier stays clear.

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 09:14

GAZ9053 wrote:Water from a dehumidifier stays clear.

While it is very low mineral content water, it also contains a concentration of whatever was floating about in the air where the dehumidifier is located.

Dust, bacteria, general shit.

Just letting people know, if you choose to use it you should know why others choose not to :hat:

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby london_lhr » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:45

is the water that window cleaners use in their pure water pole systems acceptable to use with star san ?

Window cleaners use RO water and that should be fine.
london_lhr
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 13:08

Aleman wrote:
GAZ9053 wrote:Water from a dehumidifier stays clear.

While it is very low mineral content water, it also contains a concentration of whatever was floating about in the air where the dehumidifier is located.

Dust, bacteria, general shit.

Just letting people know, if you choose to use it you should know why others choose not to :hat:

Never thought of that Aleman and I've been using that for my last 3 make ups. Think I need a rethink.

First BIAB 15.03.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby Crastney » Tue Aug 18, 2015 13:12

... and the vast majority of dust is dead skin cells.

'just sayin'

Global average carbon emissions - one ton per person per year.
Current emissions in UK – 9 tons per person per year!
Eight million tons of plastic dumped into the oceans. Every year!
Crastney
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 13:40

It's in the shed so at least should not be skin cells who knows what might be then.

First BIAB 15.03.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 13:50

rpt wrote:
RidleyRumpus wrote:Wouldnt boiled kettle water or water boiled in the HLT work?

Doesn't get rid of any of the minerals. You would have to collect the water vapour i.e. distill the water.

Not strictly true, it would get rid of a proportion of any bicarbonate and combined amount of calcium. . . . it is unlikely to get rid of enough considering that even Ashbeck water can turn it cloudy.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Kebal » Tue Aug 18, 2015 13:53

london_lhr wrote:

thank you, :cheers: might just ask the window cleaner how much a gallon he would charge or swap for other liquids :)
Kebal
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 14:34

Kebal wrote:
london_lhr wrote:

thank you, :cheers: might just ask the window cleaner how much a gallon he would charge or swap for other liquids :)

Or try your local garden centre or aquatics pet shop ;) failing that halfords sell de-ionised water which would also work.

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Maysie » Tue Aug 18, 2015 17:23

mickthetrick wrote:this is an interesting listen. its the fella that made star san.
http://ec.libsyn.com/p/3/9/0/390da96899 ... id=1452161

A very useful (albeit very long!) link.
Thanks for posting! :thumb:

For anyone else wanting to listen to the link, you can skip the first 10 minutes if you just want to catch the Star-San chap talking.
Maysie
Brewer

Postby dangby » Tue Aug 18, 2015 17:26

I use water from the tumble dryer condenser to make up starsan. It is slower to go cloudy than the Ashbeck I've bought in the past but I've never actually tested the ph of my starsan - thinking now that I should.
dangby
Brewer

Postby rpt » Tue Aug 18, 2015 21:17

I've wondered about using condenser water, but have always been worried it won't be suitable. I did read that it might contain perfumes from the washing. Perhaps it depends on how well your washing machine rinses.

rpt
Brewer

Postby dangby » Wed Aug 19, 2015 08:28

Umm, never really considered that before & after reading about the potential problems with de-humidifier water maybe there's a host of reasons I shouldn't use it???
dangby
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 17:14

I can't help but repeat myself , why would anyone who spends money on ingredients and then spends 6 odd hours brewing followed by 2 weeks fermenting then a month conditioning or so use questionable water to mix up star san ? Work it out , it really is pennies even if like me spending £2 on 2.5 litres of di-ionised water . :!:
pittsy
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 17:25

pittsy wrote:I can't help but repeat myself , why would anyone who spends money on ingredients and then spends 6 odd hours brewing followed by 2 weeks fermenting then a month conditioning or so use questionable water to mix up star san ? Work it out , it really is pennies even if like me spending £2 on 2.5 litres of di-ionised water . :!:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 18:00

pittsy wrote:I can't help but repeat myself , why would anyone who spends money on ingredients and then spends 6 odd hours brewing followed by 2 weeks fermenting then a month conditioning or so use questionable water to mix up star san ? Work it out , it really is pennies even if like me spending £2 on 2.5 litres of di-ionised water . :!:

Until it's just been pointed out I hadn't considered it being questionable at all.

First BIAB 15.03.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby dangby » Thu Aug 20, 2015 04:53

pittsy wrote:I can't help but repeat myself , why would anyone who spends money on ingredients and then spends 6 odd hours brewing followed by 2 weeks fermenting then a month conditioning or so use questionable water to mix up star san ?

Mainly laziness and good old fashioned tight-fistedness - but seriously, like GAZ9053, I hadn't really given it much consideration or thought it was questionable before.
As a little experiment I left some condenser water in a saucepan with the lid on for a while, and when I have a good sniff of it there is a faint but noticeable laundry/dryer smell to it, so its back to Tesco for me.
dangby
Brewer

Postby NickW » Thu Aug 20, 2015 08:51

+1 for what pittsy said. I used deionised water. The star san lasts forever. I pop to my local auto shop and pick up 2.5 litres for £2.40. Worries gone and no need to keep testing the ph.
NickW
Brewer

Postby Kyle_T » Thu Aug 20, 2015 08:53

I found mine use to go cloudy as soon as it hit the water, never tested the Ph to be honest but it was enough to switch me to Videne.

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2018): 0.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Previous