[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Blackcurrant and Spanish Stout

Blackcurrant and Spanish Stout

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Blackcurrant and Spanish Stout

Postby MPLMPL » Thu Oct 23, 2014 14:30

I've just put on a version of Aleman's Effin Oatmeal stout () where I split the batch. I'm fermenting 8L with elderberries and the remaining 13L unsullied.
What I fancy doing is removing ~ 4L of this to a demijohn once it's calmed down.
This works:

So what about this?

I have some hard Italian liquorice sticks (brewer's liquorice?) and plenty of blackcurrants in the freezer. If I boil up some blackcurrants and the liquorice and strain into the demijohn I will have a Blackcurrant and Spanish Stout. Is it sacrilegious to adulterate Aleman's creation in this manner?
Thoughts?

The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale.
A. E. Housman
MPLMPL
Brewer

Re: Blackcurrant and Spanish Stout

Postby robwalker » Thu Oct 23, 2014 15:10

Sounds absolutely awesome! It will work but I'd try a hotter mash personally, I bet liquorice sucks in a dry beer.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Gethin79 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 20:57

Sounds like a cracker!

In Aleman's recipe he does say that he was after more of a blackcurrant flavour from the Bramling Cross hops...well if your adding blackcurrants...job done!!! :D
Gethin79
Brewer

Postby linf » Sun Oct 26, 2014 18:35

The liquorice in the pic looks the same as the type I used in a stout kit .I used approx., 1" in the mix but it's very strong/concentrated stuff.
To my taste I find it has a very strong aftertaste which has not mellowed even after 4 months . It leaves a very dry and slightly bitter taste.
Not completely unpleasant but a bit like the old liquorice imps you got as a kid in the little tins ,bit of an acquired taste imho.
linf
Brewer

Postby MPLMPL » Sun Oct 26, 2014 19:21

A. E. Housman
MPLMPL
Brewer

Postby MPLMPL » Sun Oct 26, 2014 20:53

Well, that's it, I'll just let it do its thing now.

A. E. Housman
MPLMPL
Brewer

Postby linf » Mon Oct 27, 2014 09:58

The flavour may not have been exactly my cup of tea but hope your small batch experiment goes well,it looks amazing.
Excellent idea on using it with game such as venison. :thumb:
linf
Brewer

Postby MPLMPL » Tue Nov 25, 2014 15:16

Bottled just over a week ago. Ended up with 7 x 330mL and 5 x 275mL bottles.
Finished ~ 7%. These will be tucked away for at least 6 months before sampling. The liquorice flavour was fantastic, it would work on its own in this stout. The blackcurrant flavour will need some time to come together. Whilst the trial jar sample was very nice indeed, the blackcurrants are quite sharp. I think this will become a great sipping beer over time. It is a similar story with the elderberry portion on the batch, although much smoother than one this at bottling, it will come into its own in 6 months to a year. They are both banished to the crawl space under the house, I probably won't revisit these until next Autumn.

A. E. Housman
MPLMPL
Brewer

Postby Bombs & Cotton » Tue Nov 25, 2014 17:35

Sounds cracking, I made a 7% liquorice porter using that hard liquorice stuff about 2 years ago, and only recently finished the last bottle. One of my favourite brews to date - and it only improves with age!

Formerly Known as Matth

Twitter: @BombsandCotton
Instagram: bombs_and_cotton
Bombs & Cotton
Brewer