Best way to brew lager

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Best way to brew lager

Postby GaryG » Wed Apr 09, 2014 22:18

I am thinking of doing a proper lager at the end of the year. I will leave it in the garage over the winter.

What i'd like to know is the best biab method and the proper lager yeast.

Now my garage gets cold in the winter, how cold will the yeast work. Can it get too cold. Its not as if any water I have stored in there has ever frozen.

Gary.

Gary

Mac enthusiast, Citroen C5 driver and now homebrew enthusiast.
GaryG
Brewer

Re: Best way to brew lager

Postby Good Ed » Wed Apr 09, 2014 22:40

I'm glad that you are going to do a lager, they are very good. However with all things brewing it is important to get your temperature right and constant and also to pitch enough yeast. I would recommend a fermentation fridge set up to enable you to do this. There are various liquid yeasts and a limited range of dried yeasts, all depending on what you are brewing. Lagers range from the malty (Helles) to the hoppy (Bohemian Pilsner). So do a bit of research as to what you may like and get back here to take it further. Cold garages are good for lagering over the winter, but as I said you should be aiming to ferment at a constant temperature of 10-12C depending on the yeast. I'm afraid I know very little about BIAB, sorry.

Here's to the man who drinks strong ale,
and goes to bed quite mellow.
Lives as he ought to live,
and dies a jolly good fellow.
- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby GaryG » Wed Apr 09, 2014 23:25

My fridge is sitting at about 10 just now (not that swmbo will let me you that).

I was a grolsh drinker in my youth (omg 25 years ago). I like most lagers but not a fan of Heineken. 1664 is a lovely pint.

So I need to get a fridge to ferment in. What would you recommend I use yeast wise and kit or grain recipe wise for the lager.

How long woulds the lagering take. How long before I bottle, or can I bottle and do the lagering in the bottles.

Gary.

Gary

GaryG
Brewer

Postby Good Ed » Wed Apr 09, 2014 23:49

Well I would recommend that everyone brews an AG lager, they are great, there are a couple of recipes here http://forum.craftbrewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48 and here http://forum.craftbrewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=291 there are others of course.

A fermenting fridge is basically a fridge with a low wattage tubular heater and a controller, most use a STC-1000, so you set the fermentation temperature and the heat comes on if too cold and the fridge comes on if too warm. I know it is more expense but it is the best investment that a homebrewer can make for making consistently quality beer. rpt has done a guide here http://forum.craftbrewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=412

Lagering can take 6 weeks at 1C or a bit lower depending on the beer, I'm a bit of a heathen and I don't usually, but bottle and keep in a cool cellar for a couple of months or so.

Last edited by Good Ed on Thu Apr 10, 2014 00:26, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to the man who drinks strong ale,
and goes to bed quite mellow.
Lives as he ought to live,
and dies a jolly good fellow.
- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby GaryG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 00:23

Well I might try that later in the year.

Still a bit confused with all the terminology with brewing AG.

Gary

GaryG
Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu Apr 10, 2014 04:44

Towards the end of this last winter I brewed a lager without using a fridge. I found that our upstairs storage room was at a constant 12-13*C day and night which was pretty good for the 3-4 weeks fermentation. For the 4 week lagering I put it outside in a tub of water. Our winters are cold, usually a few degrees at most during the day and at least minus eight or ten at night. Putting the FV in the water prevented freezing and kept the temp more constant. Certainly more haste than a brew-fridge, but for a first attempt without any outlay it worked out pretty nicely and everyone has been pleased with the result. Only problem is I have to wait another 7-8 months to make another batch.
jkp
Brewer