Oxyxlean as a sanitizer?

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Oxyxlean as a sanitizer?

Postby Hairybiker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 14:04

My latest tub of oxiclean, says on the front "Kills 99.9% of known germs" isn't this then a sanitizer as well as a cleaner?

I normally use oxy to clean the stuff, then before use I rinse with star-san.

Just wondering :whistle:

Happy Linux Mint User.
Check it out at Linux Mint for a FREE download.
Hairybiker
Brewer

Re: Oxyxlean as a sanitizer?

Postby phettebs » Wed Apr 09, 2014 14:19

I wouldn't trust it as a sanitizer. I use it to soak the crud off of things but then still sanitize with starsan.

Summer Creek Brewery
phettebs
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 14:24

Found this somewhere *cough* other than here

OxyClean 1 Scoop per 10 litre for light cleaning, 1 scoop per 2.5 litre for heavy cleaning.
Good all purpose cleaner with no sterilising powers. Best mixed with warm to hot water. Cleaning action lasts for 6 hrs. Do not store mixed solution in sealed bottles, the oxygen released will cause it to pop. Will need rinsing prior to sterilising.

graysalchemy

Postby Hairybiker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 15:43

I know, I have NEVER used it as one, but as I say on the latest tub it has "kills 99.9% of germs" which would suggest that it is. :whistle:

Happy Linux Mint User.
Hairybiker
Brewer

Postby cyclops » Wed Apr 09, 2014 16:53

I always use Videne after to sterilise, you need to give it a good flushing after using oxyclean with clean water as it will create a film over your equipment.

Cheap Toys and Games at http://www.thetoydiscounter.com
cyclops
Brewer

Postby Hairybiker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 18:23

Depends on how much you use surely?
I use one scoop per vessel 23L + and rinse with hot water never had a film problem.

Happy Linux Mint User.
Hairybiker
Brewer

Postby cyclops » Wed Apr 09, 2014 18:34

its the film you dont see, its an oxygen product, do you want that to be in your fermenting wort?

Cheap Toys and Games at http://www.thetoydiscounter.com
cyclops
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 19:17

Cy I'm sorry but on this occasion you are wrong. The oxygen and the peroxide precursor are what gives it some disinfection properties. These are given off as gas and are readily soluble and easily rinsed. If left for an extended period the the other compounds in the cleaner complex with calcium leading to a white deposit which is a complete pain to remove. To avoid any issues keep the contact time short especially if you are in a hard water area, say no more than 30 minutes.

The kills 99.9% of all germs is nothing but a marketing term. Under what conditions . . Strength . . . Temperature . . . Contact time . . Without any of these you would be unwise to use it as a tertiary sanitiser, especially as you have to rinse

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Hairybiker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 19:30

Personally I have NEVER had any issues with using oxy in my FV's. As I say I use one scoop per barrel and rinse with hot water after then satirize with star-san.

@Aleman true they don't give any contact times etc.

Happy Linux Mint User.
Hairybiker
Brewer