Guide to Cleaners and Sterilisers

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Guide to Cleaners and Sterilisers

Postby Popcorn » Thu May 01, 2014 13:59

Thought You guys might like this Sorry GA couldn't wait

Here is a list of cleaners and sterilisers with dilution rates and brief descriptions of uses to use as a guide for any members looking for alternative cleaners or sterilisers. Please mention any others that may have been missed with some details of usage and dilutions and I'll add to the main list.

As with all Cleaners and sterilisers Precautions must be taken. Read the instructions, Wear rubber gloves in some cases thick heavy duty rubber gloves, wear eye protection, and don't spill them on any surface you may want to keep looking nice. And most importantly Keep out of reach of children!

Washing Soda 2 tablespoons per litre.
Also known as Sodium Carbonate. The crystals are dissolved in hot water and the equipment left to soak for about 20 minutes. Rinse equipment thoroughly after use. Not as effective as Caustic Soda and no sterilising power.

OxyClean 1 Scoop per 10 litre for light cleaning, 1 scoop per 2.5 litre for heavy cleaning.
Good all purpose cleaner with no sterilising powers. Best mixed with warm to hot water. Cleaning action lasts for 6 hrs. Do not store mixed solution in sealed bottles, the oxygen released will cause it to pop. Will need rinsing prior to sterilising.

Household Bleach 2.5ml per litre.
Can be used diluted with water to clean and sterilise plastic equipment and glass bottles. Thick bleach is better at cleaning as it foams and thin bleach is better at sterilising, Also don't use the fragranced stuff it may leave some flavours in your equipment.
Corrosive to stainless steel if left for any length of time and will also blacken and corrode brass and copper.
Needs thorough rinsing of cleaned items with hot water to remove any taints. Precautions needed when handling are goggles and rubber gloves.

Graham wrote:Assume 4.5% available chlorine for thick bleach and 1% available chlorine for thin bleach.

Code: Select all
Application              Available Chlorine        Quantity@ 4.5%       Quantity@1%
Heavy-duty cleaning         2700 ppm                 60 ml/l              270 ml/l
Medium-duty cleaning        1125 ppm                 25 ml/l              112 ml/l
Light-duty cleaning          540 ppm                 12 ml/l               55 ml/l
Standard Disinfectant        200 ppm                4.5 ml/l               20 ml/l

The disinfectant strength assumes non-acidified dilution.

VWP 1/2 teaspoon per litre.
An all purpose chlorine based cleaner/steriliser. Can be mixed to the above ratio in warm water will clean all your homebrewing equipment in around 10 minutes. It WILL release a chlorine based gas and care should be taken not to inhale it when you first add it to your water and any other time. Will need several hot water rinses to remove any taints that may be left. It's known for sticking around inside Fv's etc. Wear gloves and goggles.

Videne 1.25ml per litre.
You need the Antiseptic Solution not the Tincture. This is a No rinse solution at the above rate and is only a steriliser it has no cleaning powers and is Iodophor based. Can be mixed up into spray bottles and stored until it the colour fades, ideally with low alkalinity and Chlorine Free water.

Five Star, Io Star 1.5ml per litre for a spray on solution.
A product from the USA same principals as Videne but has loads more info on the Fact sheets see Clicky. This sheet gives differing contact times per usage and strengths. But for most home brewers usage this would be the above ratio with 1 min contact time and drain, No need to rinse. Wear gloves and goggles.

Five Star, Star San 1.5ml per litre.
Star San is a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid and is also a self foaming sanitizer. It can be applied through a foamer to produce self-adhering sanitizing foam for external sanitation. It is not recommended to use STAR SAN on soft metals because of the acid nature of this product. At the above ratio a 1-2 min contact time is recommended, Star san is a no rinse sanitiser. Wear gloves and goggles.

Star San 1.5ml per litre.
Another terminal disinfectant based on phosphoric acid which again doesn't need rinsing, this product is diluted with water and may be sprayed on items or just used as a rinse. The solution may be re-used as long as the pH stays below about 3.0. Not suitable for dilution with hard water as the alkalinity will partly neutralise the acid causing it to be ineffective. Precautions, use goggles and rubber gloves when handling the concentrated product.

Antiformin S 1-2% solution in cold water.
This product is a caustic based cleaner with an added chlorine donor. It comes supplied in liquid form and will thoroughly clean equipment whilst being effective against most bacteria. This is not corrosive to stainless steel when used at the recommended dilution and rinsed with hot water. But is corrosive to Aluminium and Zinc. Needs thorough rinsing after use. Precautions needed when handing are goggles and rubber gloves.

Caustic Soda 25 gram per litre.
Also known as Sodium Hydroxide, this cheap and powerful cleaner is available in crystal form and may be used for normal cleaning and sterilisation purposes by making up in cold water, or for heavily soiled items and stubborn deposits at 50g per 1L of water. The advantages are a very effective cleaner whilst also providing some degree of sterilising power.
A very thorough rinsing with hot water is necessary after use and this cleaner is strongly corrosive to aluminium, also will leave deposits on vessels when used in areas with very hard water. Precautions needed when handling are goggles and heavy duty rubber gloves, as this product can cause severe burns to skin.

Fam 30 5.5ml per liter.
A Iodophor based disinfectant designed for dairy use as a no rinse terminal disinfectant, but also has cleaning powers at the above ratio's. Fact sheet can be found here. Can be purchased from farm supplies stores and only comes in 5 ltr containers. An alternative to the more nasty Peracetic Acid. Use gloves and goggles

Peracetic Acid 10ml per litre.
This has in recent years become the standard disinfectant for the brewing industry and is a blend of hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid which is extremely effective against a wide range of bacteria. It's supplied as a 5% solution which is diluted with cold water and may be conveniently sprayed on pre-cleaned items. Can be used as a soak solution at the above rate, recommended contact time for soaking is 20 mins but anything over 30 seconds will have worked. Peracetic Acid may be used as a terminal disinfectant immediately prior to use and does not require rinsing. Will not corrode stainless steel. Don't use on Copper or Zinc. No cleaning power. Extremely harmful to skin. Precautions needed are goggles and heavy duty rubber gloves strongly recommended. This is also a mucosal irritant, do not inhale, use in a very well ventilated area, the vapours alone will make your eyes stream.

PBW (Powered Brewery Wash)
PBW is a patented alkali cleaner originally developed for Coors, now widely used in commercial breweries. Use 28 to 56 Grams per 3.8ltr for cleaning kettles, 21grm per 3.8ltrs for fermenters, kegs, tanks, and other equipment. Soak equipment overnight in PBW solution; rinse the following morning - no scrubbing required! Will not damage rubber gaskets, soft metals, or your skin. PBW can effectively clean items that can't be reached with a brush or sponge, and is strong enough to remove thick, difficult, caked-on organic soils. PBW is environmentally friendly, biodegradable, and will not harm septic systems.

Chlorine dioxide, ClO2
For daily disinfection use at rate 200 ppm. Usually sold as inactive solution with acid activator. First make active solution by mixing 1:23:1 ClO2, water and activator, then dilute required amount 1:9 with water. Active solution is stable for 2-3 months, working solution has to be used within 24 hrs.

In 20-25 ppm solution it can be used to wash yeast. It effectively kills at least 95% of bacteria within 24 hrs. Not effective against wild yeast.

Last edited by Popcorn on Thu May 01, 2014 14:59, edited 2 times in total.

Barba crescit caput nescit.
Popcorn
Top of the Hops

Re: Guide to Cleaners and Sterilisers

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu May 01, 2014 14:09

Afraid someone beat you to the mark! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=672

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby bobsbeer » Thu May 01, 2014 14:41

Not quite the other version is Popcorns original. :lol: You need to add PBW. Then we can merge the two together.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby Popcorn » Thu May 01, 2014 14:52

I'll sort it and add to it Bob

Yes Taz copied my original

Popcorn
Top of the Hops

Postby graysalchemy » Thu May 01, 2014 14:58

Well done Nick. :thumb:

graysalchemy

Postby Popcorn » Thu May 01, 2014 15:00

Added in PWB and the Clo2 mentioned in the other thread.

Popcorn
Top of the Hops

Postby rpt » Thu May 01, 2014 19:36

The other post has the title "chemical mixing" which doesn't describe it at all. I hope the useful title will be used if it's merged.

rpt
Brewer

Postby Chris2304 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:58

Thank you for taking the time to put this together, it is really useful - thanks.

Would you consider adding an opening paragraph or a conclusion that summarises the key message? For example "Although we would suggest avoiding washing soda because it doesn't sterilise, most of the other cleaners below will work well. Whilst VWP is inexpensive and a good starting point, no rinse cleaners like Star Stan will make life easier if you plan to brew regularly" - or whatever your view would be. As a beginner I think that'd be super useful.

Of course, it's your thread, so please feel free to ignore my 2p & once again thanks for putting this together :)
Chris2304
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:45

Very Useful, but no mention of sodium metabisulphate, and its ability to neutralise bleach.
I will look up the details later ,
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby cyclops » Wed Sep 17, 2014 21:32

Very informative Nick, nice to see you on here too :)

Cheap Toys and Games at http://www.thetoydiscounter.com
cyclops
Brewer

Postby iwoo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 20:30

Any chance the guide could be updated eo include suggested contact times for the cleaners and sterilisers
iwoo
Brewer

Postby roscoe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:40

where could one buy peracetic acid in smaller quantities ?

I also see that the Vanish extra hygiene contains peracetic (but also perfume - bummer)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanish-Extra-Hy ... cetic+acid

any thoughts if this is worth a go once a year if well rinser and then starsan'd
(no idea how strong the perfume effect is ? which I guess is the killer to using this easily available stuff)
roscoe
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Mon Jan 19, 2015 14:01

I suspect peracetic acid is the oxygen based bleaching agent used in all the basic laundry oxi products.

if using starsan too why worry about the sanitising qualities of a cleaner?
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby bobsbeer » Mon Jan 19, 2015 14:50

If you are concerned about major dirt, get some PBW, that is probably as strong as the Vanish stuff, if not stronger, and made for brewery use so no perfume. But if it's just normal yeast deposits etc, just use any oxi cleaner you can get. Cheapo stuff will lift off most dirt if left to soak for 24 hours.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby rpt » Mon Jan 19, 2015 15:09

I don't think you are meant to leave things soaking in oxi clean for more than about 20 minutes, especially if you have hard water, as it will leave a residue. I find 10 minutes is plenty long enough for cleaning my brewing gear.

I think the cheap oxi I use mentions peracetic acid on the label but the main ingredient is sodium percarbonate. The peracetic acid may be generated when the oxi is used, rather than being an actual ingredient.

rpt
Brewer

Postby tazuk » Fri Jan 15, 2016 14:29

i have gone over to Sodium Percarbonate after seeing this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-yNvBRPbMQ

tazuk
Brewer

Postby cyclops » Fri Jan 15, 2016 18:00

Good work Nick :)

Cheap Toys and Games at http://www.thetoydiscounter.com
cyclops
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 21:10

tazuk wrote:i have gone over to Sodium Percarbonate after seeing this vid

I've used oxy-clean from the local thrift shop and it appears to work in the same way as the more expensive no-rinse cleaner I bought from a home-brew shop. Both are sodium percarbonate based products, but the one from the home-brew shop was about four times more expensive.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but this stuff is great for getting labels off bottles (yes, I reuse all of my commercial-brewed beer bottles).

p.s. I had to remove your link in the quote as the website would not let me post off-site URLs (considering it spammy for a new user).

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed
Drinking: store-bought beer as my bar is dry
Conditioning: choc-coffee oatmeal wheat stout, various ciders, cherry 'brett' brown ale, imperial Pilsner.
Fermenting: Bock (6.5%), IPA (5.5%), Pale Ale (4.5)
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 15:46

Hi guys.
So I opted for the Star San product on recommendation from a few of you last week, and all my gear has arrived now.
What are basic "do's" and "dont's" here then?
I mix together a solution in a squirty bottle presumably, and then spray/rub in AFTER I have cleaned with regular every day washing up liquid? Then do I just let it air dry before starting a brew? Is there no possibility of contamination then when air drying?
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Mon Feb 22, 2016 15:51

xCamel xSlayer wrote:Hi guys.
So I opted for the Star San product on recommendation from a few of you last week, and all my gear has arrived now.
I mix together a solution in a squirty bottle presumably, and then spray/rub in AFTER I have cleaned with regular every day washing up liquid? Then do I just let it air dry before starting a brew? Is there no possibility of contamination then when air drying?

clean with washing up liquid.. rinse several times until you can no longer smell the washing up liquid.

then follow the starsan instructions for diluting.. I put a blob into the FV, add the water on top and shake it about. make sure it comes in contact with the entire inside and lid ect.. pour into your squirty bottle from there.

don't let it air dry just go straight ahead into brewing.. use the squirty bottle to sanitise spoons etc..
supersteve
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 15:57

supersteve wrote:
xCamel xSlayer wrote:Hi guys.

clean with washing up liquid.. rinse several times until you can no longer smell the washing up liquid.

then follow the starsan instructions for diluting.. I put a blob into the FV, add the water on top and shake it about. make sure it comes in contact with the entire inside and lid ect.. pour into your squirty bottle from there.

don't let it air dry just go straight ahead into brewing.. use the squirty bottle to sanitise spoons etc..

So it provides no additional off taste or potency then when used wet?
And when you say "pour in to squirty bottle from there" are you referring to the mixture in your FV?
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Mon Feb 22, 2016 16:03

Yes, the starsan solution you just created and used to sanitise your fv can then be poured into a bottle to use on the rest of your equipment.

try and get as much out as possible by just holding it upside down but don't worry about the foam.. it has it's own saying "Don't fear the foam"
supersteve
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 16:20

supersteve wrote:Yes, the starsan solution you just created and used to sanitise your fv can then be poured into a bottle to use on the rest of your equipment.

try and get as much out as possible by just holding it upside down but don't worry about the foam.. it has it's own saying "Don't fear the foam"

Excellent cheers for that. So all you do is swill it about in the FV and that is enough for it to activate and do its job then? I.e. No scrubbing, wiping etc?

Another thing, whilst doing all of this, what is there to stop anything becoming infected? Do i wear a fresh pair of gloves or are my cleaned hands fine to touch my FV and equipment?
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby ockelford » Mon Feb 22, 2016 17:22

Hi,

I just ensure coverage of every surface using swilling or a spray bottle to cover it several times ensuring it stays wet for 1 minute minumum. Just leave tools like thermometers and hydromoters in the solution and its fine, it won't taste. As long as its wet, it keeps killing the bugs. Just don't touch sterilised surfaces and you're fine!

R
ockelford
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 17:34

ockelford wrote:Hi,

I just ensure coverage of every surface using swilling or a spray bottle to cover it several times ensuring it stays wet for 1 minute minumum. Just leave tools like thermometers and hydromoters in the solution and its fine, it won't taste. As long as its wet, it keeps killing the bugs. Just don't touch sterilised surfaces and you're fine!

R

How do you handle the sterilised equipment? Do you all wear gloved whilst brewing?
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Next