controlling temp during conditioning

Discuss all things about brewing beer

controlling temp during conditioning

Postby bitterandtwisted » Fri Jul 05, 2019 16:48

Hi All,

so i racked my wheat beer last weekend, some into bottles and some into 5 liter polypins - this is what i do with most of my beers so i can have some on hand pull and share bottles around, so far this has worked very well.

Problem is i store my brews in the garage, which is now a little warm, the polypins have swollen to almost bursting and one has sprung a leak, so far the bottles are ok.

without going to a lot of expense, does anyone have a decent method for controlling temps (particularly keeping cool) during conditioning?
I have inkbirds and heat mats etc for keeping temps up during fermentation but nothing for cooling.

Thanks in advance!
bitterandtwisted
Brewer

Re: controlling temp during conditioning

Postby Oldstunty » Fri Jul 05, 2019 17:51

You could try putting damp towels over them, that should be a short term fix.
Maybe freecycle or facebook market for an under counter fridge.

Cheers,
Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby thepatchworkdoll » Fri Jul 05, 2019 19:22

Aye Im afraid the fruidge is the way to go. Get yerself on Gumtree loads of great deals on used fridges.
Regards
Patch
thepatchworkdoll
Brewer

Postby TheSumOfAllBeers » Sat Jul 06, 2019 20:15

Even a broken chest freezer will still insulate if you are prepared to swap out frozen PET bottles on daily basis from a working freezer
TheSumOfAllBeers
Brewer

Postby ericmark » Tue Mar 17, 2020 16:44

Only just restarting, never had a problem during conditioning, always needed heat, so sat the fermentor on a heated pad and used a thermostat to control it, it was the first two days always was a problem, the brewing produced heat, so needed to cool not heat, in winter still the old freezer would kick in, needed to cool even when ambient down to 10 degs C.

About to re-start brewing, so freezer has gone, so looking at how to keep cool, even considering a simple fan.
ericmark
Brewer

Postby phettebs » Wed Mar 18, 2020 19:57

Depending how much you need to cool it, you could use the "swamp bucket" method. Here in the US, I used that before I had a temp-controlled freezer. You get a large diameter plastic bucket and then put the fermenter in that.Then add enough water to go halfway up the fermenter. Then you can add soda bottles filled with ice to reach the desired temp. It's a poor man's temp control but it works.

If I didn't need too much temp control, I've also wrapped the fermenter in a wet towel. That will drop the temp too.

Summer Creek Brewery
phettebs
Brewer