Sell/use by dates

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Sell/use by dates

Postby GaryG » Sun Mar 03, 2019 18:55

I bought a Coopers Lager 40 Pint 1.7Kg Home Brew Beer Kit last year and never got around to brewing it. I was going to brew it next week but the use by date was Jan 2019. My question is, will I just need to buy some yeast or will the whole lot not be the best quality. I have ordered some Mangrove Jack's Yeast M84 Bohemian Lager Craft Series Yeast to try. I'm thinking it will be the yeast thats more like to fail after the sell by date rather than the wort.

Gary.

Gary

Mac enthusiast, Citroen C5 driver and now homebrew enthusiast.
GaryG
Brewer

Re: Sell/use by dates

Postby robwalker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 20:34

It’ll be fine. Yeast mostly depends on storage so if it’s been kept in a cool cupboard i would just pitch it
robwalker
Brewer

Postby GaryG » Sun Mar 03, 2019 21:50

Its been kept in my basement which is cold in the winter and cool in the summer. It does have a radiator in it but that only takes the chill out in the winter. I'll just pitch the yeast in a starter 24 hours before, that will give me time to buy fresh yeast if its dead. I don't fancy using the Mangrove Jack's Yeast M84 in this coopers lager after reading some reviews.

Gary

GaryG
Brewer

Postby GaryG » Wed Mar 06, 2019 17:34

Well that's the brew on and its looking good so far. I made a little starter with sugar and honey and it started pretty quick so alls well so far.

Gary

GaryG
Brewer

Postby GaryG » Fri Mar 08, 2019 07:47

Well after 2 and a half days its went from OG 1.040 to 1.005 making it just over 4.5. I only brewed 21 litres as to 23 as stated on the tin. That was too quick so hoping everything is ok. I will leave it till Saturday week and bottle it,

Just tasted the sample I took there, you can tell there is still some time before its ready but I do have a nice taste at the back of my mouth, nicer than when it went in lol .

Gary

GaryG
Brewer