Pressure barell use by date after first pint?

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Pressure barell use by date after first pint?

Postby new-tobrew » Fri Feb 08, 2019 15:34

Hi All,

I have a brew ready conditioned in a plastic pressure barrel, i'm just wondering if there is a certain amount of time the beer will last once the first pint is poured off - I.E. once that first beer is taken does that starter the timer for the rest of the beer to go off?
new-tobrew
Brewer

Re: Pressure barell use by date after first pint?

Postby sledgehammer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 17:57

Hi N-T-B
That depends on a few vairables
1. Temprature the "brew" is being stored at, and consistancy (stability) of temprature.
2. A.B.V i found that beer with a higher abv last a little longer in my opinion.
3. When you pour your beer will you be replacing the beer in the pressure barrel with air (this contains wild yeast and bacterior and will shorten the
life of the ale or will you use CO2 (this protects the beer with a inert layer of gas) this only needs to be at atmospheric pressure
Hope this has given you some help or something to think about

Steve
sledgehammer
Brewer

Postby new-tobrew » Fri Feb 08, 2019 18:03

Thanks sledgehammer - the beer is currently stored in the garage so fairly consistently cold, I was planning on using CO2 as the pressure drops -

I only ask as I have been told that once the keg is "opened" that I have a week to drink it and as much as I LOVE beer I think the Mrs might book me into a clinic if I sit and drink 23 litres at home in that short a time!
new-tobrew
Brewer

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 08, 2019 18:40

new-tobrew wrote:Thanks sledgehammer - the beer is currently stored in the garage so fairly consistently cold, I was planning on using CO2 as the pressure drops -

I only ask as I have been told that once the keg is "opened" that I have a week to drink it and as much as I LOVE beer I think the Mrs might book me into a clinic if I sit and drink 23 litres at home in that short a time!

At present I have 4 plastic barrels in use. The youngest was casked on 1st December and so long as the beer is sound, the vessels were properly sanitised and CO2 pressure is maintained, a beer will last until the yeast finishes cleaning up. Different yeasts work at different rates, but you shouldn't have to worry about having to drink too much.
Eric
Brewer

Postby wezzel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 21:39

I’ve got a stout in a plastic barrel that has been there since about October. It’s been improving week by week. Just keep it under a little positive pressure from co2 to stop the air getting in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wezzel
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:11

wezzel wrote:I’ve got a stout in a plastic barrel that has been there since about October. It’s been improving week by week. Just keep it under a little positive pressure from co2 to stop the air getting in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:thumb: :thumb:

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby sledgehammer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 18:49

new-tobrew wrote:Thanks sledgehammer - the beer is currently stored in the garage so fairly consistently cold, I was planning on using CO2 as the pressure drops -

Not married no partner to pass comment on my drinking just as well as a 9 gallon cask only lasts 3 weeks before it gets drunk :whistle:
i used to do the 23L batches but that was lasting such a short time i was just about brewing every weekend to keep up :o

Steve :cheers1:
sledgehammer
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 19:15

Gassed up with co2 you’ll easily get 3 months out. I assume it’ll be gone by then..
If you’re serving by drawing air in, itll Be nackered in a week
robwalker
Brewer

Postby new-tobrew » Tue Feb 12, 2019 18:55

so should I be gassing the barrel initially or only if pressure seems to drop when pouring off the beer?
new-tobrew
Brewer

Postby Brewedout » Tue Feb 12, 2019 22:11

new-tobrew wrote:so should I be gassing the barrel initially or only if pressure seems to drop when pouring off the beer?
If you are adding sugar to carbonate your barrel no carbon dioxide is needed at first. When the beer starts to come out more slowly after you have had a fair few pints out give it a quick 1 second blast of gas. When I used plastic barrels I only needed to do 2 or 3 shots of gas after carbonating and this was for 25l. This will depend on temperature of the beer and how quickly you drink it too.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Brewedout
Brewer