Heated mash tub as FV?

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Heated mash tub as FV?

Postby new-tobrew » Tue Jan 22, 2019 21:36

Just wondering if there’s any reason why a mash bucket with an element and airlock attaches to an inkbird shouldn’t/couldn’t be used to keep the temp up on a brew in an outhouse during the colder weather?
new-tobrew
Brewer

Re: Heated mash tub as FV?

Postby vacant » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:01

What sort of element are you thinking of? I think even an aquarium heater would heat the wort in contact with it too much and given prolonged cold weather, all the beer will eventually circulate and could be affected.

I have a tube heater sitting next to the FV in my fermenting fridge but it would provide enough heat in cold weather using any old box, insulated or not.

My future plans include not much
vacant
Brewer

Postby new-tobrew » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:41

I was thinking of using a spare mash tub that I have but thought the same as you, that the element would cause issues.
I’m expecting with a heat pad and inkbird and FV wrapped in hot water cylinder jacket at the moment and so far it’s holding temp. Fingers crossed!
new-tobrew
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Wed Jan 23, 2019 21:32

I use a builders trug. Put the fv in it and fill the trug with water. An aquarium heater plonked in the water keeps it at a steady temp. I just put blankets over the top to keep any crud out.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer