newbie question

Discuss all things about brewing beer

newbie question

Postby new-tobrew » Thu Jan 17, 2019 09:36

Hi all,

I have brewed from kits for a while now but want more of a challenge - I am going to start brew in a bag brewing and starting with an irish red beer followed by a porter (possibly with a damson flavour) - I have the equipment and recipes but neither mentions sugar - with all grain brewing do I not need to add sugar at all or just when bottling?

also - I intend to brew in my garage, I have a circular heat pad to put under my fermenter and a jacket made of water tank insulation, will this be enough to keep to the optimum temperature?

thanks in advance!
new-tobrew
Brewer

Re: newbie question

Postby Jeltz » Thu Jan 17, 2019 14:44

Sometimes a recipe may call for different types of sugar to be used as ingredients in the recipe (Belgian ales for example) but with all grain brewing the fermentable sugars are generally entirely extracted from the grain during the mash. Hence the term all grain.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Jeltz » Thu Jan 17, 2019 14:46

As for the temperature control I'd say give it a go and watch to see what happens. It might very well get too hot in which case you would need to look at a temperature controller or at very lease a timer

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby robwalker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 14:47

new-tobrew wrote:Hi all,

I have brewed from kits for a while now but want more of a challenge - I am going to start brew in a bag brewing and starting with an irish red beer followed by a porter (possibly with a damson flavour) - I have the equipment and recipes but neither mentions sugar - with all grain brewing do I not need to add sugar at all or just when bottling?

also - I intend to brew in my garage, I have a circular heat pad to put under my fermenter and a jacket made of water tank insulation, will this be enough to keep to the optimum temperature?

thanks in advance!

Welcome! The clue is in the name - all grain. Majority of beers are 100% grain with maybe the odd bit of sugar (english mild, belgian strong ale tend to utilize a little.) adding 1kg sugar is a cheap easy way to boost the abv in a kit, but doesn’t supply any real flavour. I hope you’ll find your all malt beers much better quality than beer kits!
For your heating, i would be careful. Those pads supply fairly direct heat and you’re at as much risk of going over temp as you are falling under.
Inkbird controller will sort all that for you, but if possible ferment indoors around 20c, room temp is basically ideal for fermentation.
robwalker
Brewer

Newbie question

Postby new-tobrew » Thu Jan 17, 2019 19:38

Thanks for advice, think I’ll invest in an ink bird to be on the safe side. No doubt be back with more questions before long!!
new-tobrew
Brewer