Remove Sediment BEFORE Boil?

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Remove Sediment BEFORE Boil?

Postby BooBrew » Sun Nov 11, 2018 18:54

Hi All,

We'd welcome any comments on the question below.

We split our AG small-batch, stove-top brew days over two days. Mash and sparge on day one; put the wort in the fridge overnight in a covered pot; and then boil, etc on day two.

We've noticed that overnight a lot of sludge (is it actually 'trub' at this stage?) sinks to the bottom of the kettle. We're assuming that this is mostly flour from the crushed grains?

So our question is this: Is it okay to rack the wort off the sludge before boiling it up?

Will this result in less trub in the FV?

Or is there something in the sludge that's quintessential to the beer?

We batch-sparge, but presumably fly-sparging would normally remove much of this sludge from the wort as it filters though the grain-bed? And you wouldn't normally see any sludge in a can of LME.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers
BooBrew
Brewer

Re: Remove Sediment BEFORE Boil?

Postby HTH1975 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:08

I’ve read that ‘some’ trub in the FV is actually desirable as it aids yeast health.

You would normally have all of that stuff in te kettle, so I’d put it all in. Kettle finings will help clump proteins together and a short 30 rest will drop most of that to the bottom of the kettle if you must have clear wort.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Re: Remove Sediment BEFORE Boil?

Postby BooBrew » Wed Nov 21, 2018 15:31

HTH1975 wrote:I’ve read that ‘some’ trub in the FV is actually desirable as it aids yeast health.

You would normally have all of that stuff in te kettle, so I’d put it all in. Kettle finings will help clump proteins together and a short 30 rest will drop most of that to the bottom of the kettle if you must have clear wort.

Thanks for the response. I guess this stuff is also full of hard-won sugars, so probably best to leave it in the FV for the yeast to turn to alcohol. We'll leave it behind when we bottle. Cheers.
BooBrew
Brewer