Storing no rinse sanitiser

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Storing no rinse sanitiser

Postby Oldstunty » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:39

I have a couple of friends who are starting to do kit beers, and to help them out I'm donating some odds and sods.
The one item is some NBS no rinse sanitiser. I said that I'd split my bottle with them, and they can buy the next bottle
when and if they take up beer making in the long term.
I was just wondering what bottles are suitable for this? Are plastic pop bottles ok, or should I get a couple of glass medicine
ones to decant the no rinse into?

Cheers,
Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Re: Storing no rinse sanitiser

Postby Saccharomyces » Sat Feb 24, 2018 18:02

I realise you might not have kids or grandkids, but just in case anybody else is thinking of doing this:

You shouldn’t store chemicals in pop bottles, the possibility of a child or anybody else getting hold of it and consuming the contents by accident isn’t worth any sum of money you might save.

I’d say ditto the above for a medicine bottle, I guess you could use a thoroughly-rinsed bleach bottle but you would have to wash it to remove all traces of bleach.
Saccharomyces
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Sat Feb 24, 2018 18:31

A bleach bottle is a bit on the big side, really. Besides, the kids are still playing with it!
I was more concerned with any reactions with the sanitiser to ordinary plastics, but if this not an issue,
I'll use some smaller bottle.

Cheers,
Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sat Feb 24, 2018 19:38

I have given out star San to a couple of friends. I measured out a single dose into a well rinsed 500ml pop bottle so all they needed to do was fill it with water.
I do agree that it needs storing/labeling properly so no one is going to get hold of it and use it improperly.
Rolfster
Brewer