Partigyle with a difference

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Partigyle with a difference

Postby Pakman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 21:20

Tried something different a fortnight ago, not posted about it earlier as I wanted to see how it turned out.
We've a family wedding coming soon and my youngest son asked for a strong ale to celebrate, however, being the only driver in our house and having just discovered Brewdog's Nanny State, I really wanted to brew a very low alcohol beer so that I can have a drink or two and still drive home. So, as I am the owner of two mash tuns at the moment, I hatched a plan.

Recipe was :-
4kg Pale Malt
300 gms Extra Dark Crystal
200 gms Pale Crystal
30 gms flaked oats --- into EACH mash tun.

After 90 mins, run off and fly sparge to get 15 litres from each mash into boiler.
Then I batch sparged (30 mins) and then fly sparged the 2nd runnings to get 13L for second boil.

Used Minstrel hops (10gms) for 90 mins and Minstrel (20gms) plus Galaxy (20gms) for the last 15 mins.

1st runnings gave me 22L into FV and pitched an SO4 starter at 23C. OG = 1.055 after adding 200gms of black treacle post boil.

2nd runnings gave me 13L at 1.030 into second boil session so I added 7L water to dilute. This weaker version had same hops as 1st but also Citra (15gms) and Mosaic (38gms) post boil once the temperature had dropped to 80C - left for 30 mins. This also had SO4 pitched.

Racked both beers today.

1st is 20L of nice dark beer at 5.5% and the 2nd is 18L of 1% hoppy light coloured beer.
I've decided to bottle 3 different beers in two weeks time, 1st, 2nd and a blend of the two as a 3rd.
Looking forward to trying them when they've carbonated in the bottles.

Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Re: Partigyle with a difference

Postby CraftyTim » Sat Feb 03, 2018 21:41

Lovin this partygyle

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy :D
CraftyTim
Brewer

Postby Pakman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 18:12

It was all going so well . . . . . . . . .

Got both brews in plastic barrels for conditioning. Noticed the strong brew is creating lots of CO2 because I keep releasing the pressure every day. The weak brew has generated no pressure at all to release. As I want to bottle them at the same time I decided to drop a bit of CO2 in through the cap valve to stop it oxidising whilst I'm waiting for the strong brew to settle. Squirted in a bit of CO2 to find a stream of beer coming out of a split seam in the barrel - Bu$$er! Luckily I stand my pressure barrels in large plastic buckets when they are in my office. Had to then rack into a tight lidded FV, hopefully I kept the introduction of air to a minimum. Once done I filled the void in the FV with a blanket of CO2 and sealed the lid on. Managed to salvage 16L of my original 18L - didn't taste off so hopefully I caught it OK - but only time will tell.
Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Postby Pakman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 18:21

All bottled today, a total of 72 bottles!
27 @ 5.5%
12 @ 4% approx.
12 @ 3.4% approx.
21 @ 1%
The joy of blending ;^)

The 'driving' beer is quite a hoppy drink with little body but it suits my requirement - no where near as hoppy as Nanny State but then I didn't chuck in whole packets of dry hop.

The strongest ale is required for No1 sons wedding late March so should just be ready (ish)

Graham

P.S. Having had my second bottling barrel split I had to use a syphon to bottle the 1% brew - what a pain. Told SWMBO that I need a new pressure barrel for my birthday ;^)

Pakman
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sat Feb 24, 2018 19:34

Looks like a good haul! Nice range of beers to go at there!
Rolfster
Brewer