Borehole for Water Supply

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Borehole for Water Supply

Postby Maysie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 16:22

I have recently moved house and now live in quite a remote area where our water is supplied by a private borehole.

I was just wondering if anyone else on here has had any experiences (good or bad) of brewing with borehole water?

At the moment there is no UV filtration in place, but the last test confirmed that there are no bacterial problems. The water is sampled and tested regularly to make sure it is all OK, but the supply will not be treated or chlorinated.

Will that help or hinder the brewing process?!

I can probably dig out a water test if that is of any help/interest.

TIA
Maysie
Brewer

Re: Borehole for Water Supply

Postby Jeltz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 18:04

If its safe to drink I wouldn't give it a 2nd though. You'll be boiling it anyway.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Maysie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 18:09

Thanks Jeltz

I do kits still at the moment, so my top up water will be straight from the cold tap. I am starting to think I should start to use a Campden Tablet just to make sure.
Maysie
Brewer

Postby sledgehammer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 15:33

the only differance i have noticed from the spring water on the farm is that it continiously changes in regard to Ph salts etc depending on the time of year how much it's been raining etc but i expect yours will be more stable being a borehole rather than a spring
i would as a minimum put a particulate filter on it but as your boiling it i wouldn't worry about the UV

steve
sledgehammer
Brewer