Hopbursting... How do you do it?

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Hopbursting... How do you do it?

Postby kohoutec » Sat Jun 03, 2017 22:50

Tried this on the last couple of brews. The first which I'm drinking now should've been a disaster...

Brew day was fine, as was fermentation but for some daft reason I decided to see how far I could push my fridge during crash cooling... Let's just say you can push things too far

Anyway I probably foolishly decided to make up the liquor lost from the resulting iceberg with tap water, and was dreading a nasty oxidised mess, but turns out it's one of the best beers I've brewed so far (my 50th as well!)... Don't know how much shelf life it has but for a first attempt at hopbursting I'm impressed, and it won't hang around for long.

So next brew is a repeat but hopefully I won't freeze this one... The hydrometer sample I had today was fantastic. Just set the fridge to 2c!

In terms of hopping I went with additions at 10, 5 and a 30 minute steep after cooling to 80c. I was worried the bitterness wouldn't be there but that's unfounded, it's lovely.

How do you do it? For the next brew I'm thinking about trying just a large flameout addition and nothing else, but I am a bit paranoid this might not give enough bitterness. I'm going for a totally over the top Citra/Mosaic tropical thing... flameout or 80c?

Sorry, long rambling drunken post :-/Image
kohoutec
Brewer

Re: Hopbursting... How do you do it?

Postby robwalker » Sun Jun 04, 2017 09:39

It's difficult to nail down anything but experience with this sort of thing so I would do what you've proposed. One of the advantages of boil side hops is they're more stable in the beer than dry hops are giving it a longer shelf life. There's several clone brews out there such as Dead Pony Club which are a good place to start, just change the hops/gravity etc.
You can always fix the bitterness with iso hop extract.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 09:33

My recent NEIPA V2.0 used hops at flamout ONLY. I didn't use a bittering charge, nor did I add any at all during the boil.
It has only been bottled since last Tuesday so I'll be opening one up toward the end of the week to see how its getting on.

It smelled and tasted real nice during bottle day, so I have set high hopes.

One thing I would look to try next time is FWH. I still need to read up on the subject but I believe it is basically adding your bittering charge WHILST you are ramping up to boil (I think?). It is said that it provides a softer bitterness than when throwing it in at the 60 min mark.
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:13

I like the FWH technique. Its basically adding the hops in the boil kettle when you start sparging, so the hops only get an (approx) 60-65C before the boil. This is said to lock in the flavour and aroma rather than driving it off like adding at boiling point.
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby kohoutec » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:17

Will be interested to see how it turns out xCamel as it's kinda what I have planned for a future brew
FWHing is something I usually do. I was just so impressed with the hop punch I got from hopbursting I want to explore it further :)
kohoutec
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:38

kohoutec wrote:Will be interested to see how it turns out xCamel as it's kinda what I have planned for a future brew
FWHing is something I usually do. I was just so impressed with the hop punch I got from hopbursting I want to explore it further :)

I'll be updating it HERE buddy :thumb:
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby Dads Ale » Wed Jun 07, 2017 16:49

I have recently done 2 brews (NEIPA) using the same hops (recipe based on Juicy Bits from Craft Beer and Brewing magazine)but utilising a different hop schedule and one with leaf and one with pellets.

Both only had about 10g of FWH

Brew 1
Hops were all leaf and the hop schedule was changed to put the late additions at 15mins, 5mins and 0mins. Dry hopping via use of a single hop tea.

Brew 2
Hops were all pellets and followed the recipe to the letter. All (apart from the FWH) went in for a 30/40 minute whirlpool. Dry hopping at day 2 and day 4. (pellets direct into FV)

What are the results?
Well the two beers couldn't be more different. Brew 1 has a subdued hop aroma and taste whilst Brew 2 is a bit of a hop bomb (much more like I was expecting) and similar to commercial NEIPAs.

ps. If you want to try Brew 2 I am taking a keg to the festival under the name Bitter & Wasted. :D
Dads Ale
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Wed Jun 07, 2017 18:44

Did you start chilling immediately at 0 minutes for beer 1?
On beer 2 you describe using a whirlpool, did you chill to bellow 80C and then steep?
Interesting comparison, even if a number of variables were changed at once, especially since quite a few people seems to struggle when attempting to get a in your face hoppiness.
f00b4r
Brewer

nRe: Hopbursting... How do you do it?

Postby Brewzee » Thu Jun 22, 2017 06:33

i did a neipa thing with no hops except 70g at flameout. its carbonated and running but must only have 10 ibus to rub together. not my kind of thing and while on subject of neipa the novlety of lots of oats is wearing off after a couple of brews to. I am going back to a 60 m addition. 70g of el dorado 2016 hops it was to.
Brewzee
Brewer

Re: nRe: Hopbursting... How do you do it?

Postby robwalker » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:27

Brewzee wrote:i did a neipa thing with no hops except 70g at flameout. its carbonated and running but must only have 10 ibus to rub together. not my kind of thing and while on subject of neipa the novlety of lots of oats is wearing off after a couple of brews to. I am going back to a 60 m addition. 70g of el dorado 2016 hops it was to.

As a rule of thumb you're talking probably 150g-200g+ for an all flameout addition, I'm not surprised it's underbittered - I brew a beer with a 12% aa hop at flameout, 6g/L, 20 ibus at 60 mins which is pretty balanced.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:10

120g of 4x 12% AA hops at 80C for 20 mins in mine. Pulled enough bitterness through for sure.
Then there was 2x 140g dry hop additions which I'm convinced definitely adds bitterness despite many suggesting it doesn't!
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer