Burnt element

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Burnt element

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon May 08, 2017 06:53

So, 15 mins before the end of my 90 minutes boil yesturday the element cut out!

After I'd drained the boiler it looks like a section of the element is burnt. After a quick clean it works again but one section of the element is still black.

Would this of ruined my wort (it was a porter?) And do I need to look for a new boiler as the burnt area won't clean off (even after using citric acid)

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Re: Burnt element

Postby HTH1975 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:26

I'd just taste the wort and decide from there

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed
Drinking: store-bought beer as my bar is dry
Conditioning: choc-coffee oatmeal wheat stout, various ciders, cherry 'brett' brown ale, imperial Pilsner.
Fermenting: Bock (6.5%), IPA (5.5%), Pale Ale (4.5)
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Mon May 08, 2017 12:45

I doubt its had too bad an effect on the brew, the lack of kettle finniings will probably have more of an impact on just the clarity of the brew.

i assume its a concealed base element the way your talking about new boilers?? even if the bottom element is kaput 2ndary standard elements can be fitted thru the wall side
easily enough.

however its not a good sign, and it sounds as if one aspect of the element may be weak now and after overheating enough to pop the thermal switch the once may fail again permenantly soon.. the element is basically a length of resistance wire and if its not a common resistance along its length its going to overheat and die where the resistance is greater than it should be.
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby jkp » Mon May 08, 2017 16:17

Even the concealed elements are replaceable aren't they? I bought a large pot as a HLT a while back but returned it as the heating plate had some corrosion on arrival. The seller wanted to post a new element for me to replace, but I wasn't going to do that.

jkp
Brewer