Stout problem = last minute Weiss

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Stout problem = last minute Weiss

Postby Dave1970 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:51

Kegged a stout last night that was split into smaller (15 litre) and larger (45 litre) fermenters. The smaller batch tastes pretty good, but the bigger one doesn't taste right to me. I'm getting a solventy or acetyl flavour. I can't see any signs of infection but I think I might know what's gone wrong - the ring from the krausen on one side of the big fermenter is really baked on - I'm thinking that it might have got too close to the tube heater in the brewing fridge and got too hot causing the yeast to generate off flavours. :doh:
I hope it's this because at least 1 corny that's got all of the small batch and only a few litres from the big one might be OK, whereas if it's an infection then it's all f*****d.

This is particularly annoying because 1 corny of the stout was going on holiday with me & my brother's family in 3 weeks time and another was going to the bar at The Homebrew Festival. :(

This requires emergency action! The only thing I can think of to brew this weekend and be ready for my holiday is a Weissbeer. I reckon I can ferment and force carb in 3 weeks. To this end I dashed an order off to Rob at the Maltmiller this morning and I've got coming:

Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat Yeast - 2 packs - no time to build up a starter of my frozen WLP380
Hallertauer (Mittlefruh) -100g
Weyermann® Wheat Malt Light 6Kg
Weyermann Carahell Malt - 1kg
Weyermann Acidulated Malt - 500g
Weyermann Premiere Pilsner Malt - 5Kg

This isn't a recipe, I'll have a think about that tonight (any suggestions welcome) just the raw materials available - I have a fair few other hops in the freezer and some MO, crystal, english wheat and a few other bits of malt as well. Also already have some oat husks that I'll definitely use to help keep the mash flowingLooking for 50-60 litres as a brew length

Next problem - Water! I have limited knowledge and supplies but I'm hoping I can at least make my water better.

My Leicester tap water is fairly hard - I think it was about 170 alkalinity last time I checked but I'll do a new salifert test tonight.

I have an RO filter and some CRS and that's about it - I was thinking that diluting 40% tap to 60% RO would get me down to about 70 alk and then I could use CRS to get it down to 40 ish. I know this basic approach won't give me the 'right water' but i'm hoping it will give me 'better water' - any thoughts?

Next - mash temps - I have a RIM's so it would seem daft not to use it to do a stepped mash - looking around I found somewhere in the depths of the recipes Pittsy giving some advice and have come up with

mash in at 40c , hold for 5 mins .
heat to 55c, hold for 25 mins
heat to 63c , hold for 40 mins ,
heat to 71c , hold for 30 mins
heat to 76c for 15 mins , sparge .

Finally Fermenting - last time I did a Weiss it was Aleman's Erdinger and it started at 12C and gradually went up to 18C (with WLP380) - any point doing this with the MJ dry yeast?

I'll definitely end up with beer, but will it be any good?

Brewing: Cider 2015
Conditioning: AG#21Branxholme Bitter
Drinking: C ider 2014,AG#15 Stellar Tortoise II, AG#19 All at C
Dave1970
Brewer

Re: Stout problem = last minute Weiss

Postby Rolfster » Fri May 05, 2017 12:40

I know it's not good for you but.... I had a beer that got a bit too warm when fermentating and didn't taste too good. With a bit of time and a dry hop it settled down nicely. It's always an option of its not too far gone.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Dave1970 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:56

Rolfster wrote:I know it's not good for you but.... I had a beer that got a bit too warm when fermentating and didn't taste too good. With a bit of time and a dry hop it settled down nicely. It's always an option of its not too far gone.

I've kegged it and will certainly give it some time, not going to throw away beer that I've laboured to produce (although I must admit the last few litres that I'd normally bottle went down the drain in a fit of pique :oops: ) if there's a chance it will turn out OK. Not sure about a dry hopped stout!

Dave1970
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Fri May 05, 2017 19:34

Hi Dave , you have the mash sorted , the recipe can be 60% wheat 5% crystal , 2% ish acid malt and he rest pilsner . Alkalinity around 30 ppm , ferment at 18c don't need or bother with a low temp pitch . For times sake after 3 days up temp to 20c then after fg done drop to 10c for 2 days then keg . it will be better after a week in keg and best at 2 weeks onwards .
pittsy
Brewer

Postby Dave1970 » Fri May 05, 2017 19:49

Thanks Pittsy, not too far off then.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Dave1970
Brewer