Water Analysis

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Water Analysis

Postby brewpete » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:31

Does anyone know how much water chemistry is likely to be different over short geographical distances? I am going to send off some of my tap water for analysis at Murphy's and I'm hoping that the results of this would also be relevant for a brewer mate of mine who lives about 500 yards away.
brewpete
Brewer

Re: Water Analysis

Postby Aleman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:37

As long as you both draw water from teh same source it will apply. your Water company website will tell you what your Zone is.

Incidentally for a accurate water report try a PM to member wallybrew on here, does an excellent service ;)

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby vacant » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:45

Bristol Water responded in great detail when I asked many years ago. They told be exactly which treatment works my water came from and loads of detail for it e.g. alkalinity as CaCo3 min 268, avg 277.7 max 288. Even from an "aquifer" treatment works there can be significant variation. Apparently some places in Bristol can get switched between Mendip limestone aquifer (hard) to fluvial sources (soft).

First ask you water company for as much info as they can give out.

edit: they should also tell you if they use chloramine (less common) or chlorine. If chlorine, you can leave water overnight rather than add a bit of campden tablet.

My future plans include not much
vacant
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Fri Apr 28, 2017 13:22

+1 for wallybrew's test's
Dennis King

Postby HTH1975 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 15:22

I have a similar issue as you in that my water company has two sources, one hard and one soft. I'm keeping an alkalinity log together with Murphys water reports throughout the year to see if I can see a pattern. So far it's fairly consistent.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Fri Apr 28, 2017 16:18

HTH1975 wrote:I have a similar issue as you in that my water company has two sources, one hard and one soft. I'm keeping an alkalinity log together with Murphys water reports throughout the year to see if I can see a pattern. So far it's fairly consistent.

I got a report from wallybrew a couple of years back. Did a second test a two weeks ago and every single parameter has changed.
Dennis King

Postby vacant » Fri Apr 28, 2017 16:43

Dennis King wrote:I got a report from wallybrew a couple of years back. Did a second test a two weeks ago and every single parameter has changed.

Did you get a second test because of issues with your beer and were the changes significant?

My future plans include not much
vacant
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Fri Apr 28, 2017 16:57

vacant wrote:
Dennis King wrote:I got a report from wallybrew a couple of years back. Did a second test a two weeks ago and every single parameter has changed.

Did you get a second test because of issues with your beer and were the changes significant?

I test the alkalinity every brew so I was aware it had changed fro 125 to 178 so a second test made sense to check the rest.
Dennis King