What can cause metallic flavours?

Discuss all things about brewing beer

What can cause metallic flavours?

Postby NickW » Sun Apr 23, 2017 13:47

Hi all

Just bottled some APA for the festival conpeition and had a sip of the dreggs from the bottling wand.

The beer was at about 3c. It had a distinct metallic aftertaste. I've never had this before.

Brewed in a grain father. Mashed at 67c. Mash PH of 5.25. Air stone with just air in the beer for 15 mins. Fermented at 18c with Nottingham yeast. Primary for a week. Transered to secondary FV (FV was filled with co2 to prevent oxygenation). Left at 18c for another week. Dropped to 14c to dry hop with pellets (no hop bag). Left for 3 days. Chilled down to 3c for 4 days. Then bottled.

Beer smells fine and upfront taste is great.

What can cause this? It's had no contact with metal apart from the grain father itself.

Bit of a bummer! Is it because the sample was ice cold? Is this likely to clear up or get worse?
NickW
Brewer

Re: What can cause metallic flavours?

Postby jkp » Sun Apr 23, 2017 15:45

Other than your GF it could be poorly stored grains, or iron in your water.

jkp
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sun Apr 23, 2017 16:07

Possibly corrosion too. I'd take your GF apart as much as you can and inspect it.
Give Nottingham a couple of weeks to come up right too, it usually ends up pretty dry with me which can lead to it being quiet undesirable early on.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby NickW » Sun Apr 23, 2017 16:38

Grains were new. I used them 2 weeks prior and they made a smashing bitter. It's only the 3rd brew with the GF so I can't see it being corrosion. I always clean well. Beer tasted fine when sampling the wort on brew day...

Or could just need a bit of ageing. Ill pop a bottle in 2 weeks then and see where we are!
NickW
Brewer

Postby duncans » Sun Apr 23, 2017 18:07

A mistake with water treatment perhaps. I added too much of something to a brew once, gypsum i think, had a metallic taste.
duncans
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Mon Apr 24, 2017 01:27

with just the sup from the tail end of a bottling wand to go on, i wouldnt worry too much, its not exactly a good sample to go on, being small and lifeless, what had you eaten or drunk earlier that could have lingered on your taste buds?

i would bet you a pint after its conditioned and had a suitable period to mature to your taste it will probably be fine if not great .
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby NickW » Sun May 07, 2017 08:04

Update on this. Its been in the corny a week and the metallic taste no longer exists. Its just a bit drier than I wanted. Finished at 1010 rather than 1014 which I wanted. I mashed at 67c! Nottingham really goes for it. I'll be using WLP002 next time
NickW
Brewer