No, I haven't lost my marbles

Discuss all things about brewing beer

No, I haven't lost my marbles

Postby Pakman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:07

I think it was on here that some-one recommended filling the void below the tap in a conditioning vessel with glass marbles. :scratch:
I purchased a few bags for not much money on Fleabay and they are excellent. Easy to sterilise, reduce the waste beer and also trap the dropped yeast so it doesn't get stirred up into the brew when you move the container. An added bonus was that each 50p pack came with one large marble. These items make excellent weights for dry hop bags.
So marbles gets my vote as most unusual brewing accessory. :thumb:
What's yours? :hmm:
Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Re: No, I haven't lost my marbles

Postby HTH1975 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12

That's a good idea. I use heavy crystal whiskey glasses to weigh down my hop bags, but marbles may be better.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed
Drinking: store-bought beer as my bar is dry
Conditioning: choc-coffee oatmeal wheat stout, various ciders, cherry 'brett' brown ale, imperial Pilsner.
Fermenting: Bock (6.5%), IPA (5.5%), Pale Ale (4.5)
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby Touchstone » Sat Apr 29, 2017 17:29

Why does the hop bag need to be at the bottom? I keep it at the top and give it a squeeze every day . Also why fill the FV with marbles, what a mess !
Touchstone
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Sun Apr 30, 2017 14:09

Touchstone wrote:Why does the hop bag need to be at the bottom? I keep it at the top and give it a squeeze every day . Also why fill the FV with marbles, what a mess !

????? you put your hand inside the FV and touch the brew???? how do you sanitise your hands before??
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby DethApostle » Mon May 01, 2017 12:36

Sounds like he's playing the odds that the contents of the FV by that point are alcoholic and a suitably hostile environment for any foreign bacteria to take a hold in... Risky gamble though!

... or alternatively he's squeezing with something that can be sanitised properly beforehand...
DA

Serving: AG37: Smoked Chipotle Porter, AG41: Maibock
Bottled: AG3: The GPSE, AG14: Plum Porter, AG 25: Russian Imperial Stout
Conditioning: AG42: Rye Saison
Fermenting: AG43: Banoffe Gose
Planning: AG44: tbc
--------------------------
Brewed in 2012: 200 pints
Brewed in 2013: 560 pints
Brewed in 2014: 360 pints
Brewed in 2015: 280 pints
Brewed in 2016: 320 pints
Brewed in 2017: 200 pints
DethApostle
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Mon May 01, 2017 13:13

Surely hands aren't such an issue if you thoroughly wash them? Like most people (I'd assume) we have anti-bac handwash in the kitchen, so I just use that to keep my hands clean when brewing.

On a brew day, you'll find you're getting equipment in/out of a tub of starsan in any case.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed
Drinking: store-bought beer as my bar is dry
Conditioning: choc-coffee oatmeal wheat stout, various ciders, cherry 'brett' brown ale, imperial Pilsner.
Fermenting: Bock (6.5%), IPA (5.5%), Pale Ale (4.5)
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Tue May 02, 2017 20:00

HTH1975 wrote:Surely hands aren't such an issue if you thoroughly wash them? Like most people (I'd assume) we have anti-bac handwash in the kitchen, so I just use that to keep my hands clean when brewing.

On a brew day, you'll find you're getting equipment in/out of a tub of starsan in any case.

I would say so YES! hands are a HUGE deal, im far from expert but my lay understanding is we are teaming with microlife and our hands explore every crevice sooner or later.

Unless your scrubbing up like a surgeon i dont think your going to remove everything on your hands, Is antibacterial handwash yeast friendly?

Perhaps im OTT on the cold side of brewing, but prefer to err on the side of caution and i will avoid touching any surface post sanitation that will come into contact with the brew, even pulling from a sanitiser bath i will handle items by their outer surfaces or rims avoiding touching any area that comes into contact with the brew.

Its just my take, and its not the only way to brew, but in your case of squeezing a hop bag i would have some sanitised tongs sat in a pint glass of starsan for the job..

:thumb: :thumb:
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby AFewTooMany » Tue May 02, 2017 22:24

PhatFil wrote:
HTH1975 wrote:Surely hands aren't such an issue if you thoroughly wash them? Like most people (I'd assume) we have anti-bac handwash in the kitchen, so I just use that to keep my hands clean when brewing.

I would say so YES! hands are a HUGE deal, im far from expert but my lay understanding is we are teaming with microlife and our hands explore every crevice sooner or later.

Unless your scrubbing up like a surgeon i dont think your going to remove everything on your hands, Is antibacterial handwash yeast friendly?

Perhaps im OTT on the cold side of brewing, but prefer to err on the side of caution and i will avoid touching any surface post sanitation that will come into contact with the brew, even pulling from a sanitiser bath i will handle items by their outer surfaces or rims avoiding touching any area that comes into contact with the brew.

Its just my take, and its not the only way to brew, but in your case of squeezing a hop bag i would have some sanitised tongs sat in a pint glass of starsan for the job..

:thumb: :thumb:

+1.

Also if any of the soap comes in contact with the beer it can destroy head retention and body. Just another thing to think about. Either fully submerge the hop bag or squeeze bag as above. It's just not worth the risk

Work is the curse of the drinking classes
AFewTooMany
Brewer

Postby jkp » Wed May 03, 2017 19:17

Touchstone wrote:Why does the hop bag need to be at the bottom? I keep it at the top and give it a squeeze every day . Also why fill the FV with marbles, what a mess !

perhaps he's wearing sanitised silicone gloves.

In any case there is also a possible issue of oxidation.

jkp
Brewer