HELP - How much fruit???

Discuss all things about brewing beer

HELP - How much fruit???

Postby rui » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:04

Helloo to all!! :thumb:

Today i will add some raspberry fruit to an IPA i brewed, its 18L, and i would like to know how much fruit shoul i use? i will buy frozen ones later.
Another quetion, should i leave them unfreeze, or put it frozen to the FV??

cheers

Planning: Raspberry Witbier, , Bitter, Porter
FV1: BIAB#41 Robust Porter
FV2:
FV3:
keg1:BIAB#39 American ipa
keg2: BIAB#38 BEST BITTER
bottled and conditioning: BIAB#37 blonde ale,
drinking: BIAB#27 American pale ale
Barril de carvalho francês (French oak barrel) fermention stage: 500L of rose wine
rui
Brewer

Re: HELP - How much fruit???

Postby rlemkin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:13

1) How much fruit character do you want? Anywhere up to 250g/l of raspberries are used in some fruit beers, but for an IPA it would probably not be a level you would want. Very tart; which can clash with the bitterness. Overwhelmingly fruity; knocking out the hops.
2) Defrost them first.

Raspberries wouldn't be my first choice for an IPA and I'd stick to a low amount. Say one of the regular sized frozen bags from the supermarket into the full batch.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:18

rlemkin wrote:1) How much fruit character do you want? Anywhere up to 250g/l of raspberries are used in some fruit beers, but for an IPA it would probably not be a level you would want. Very tart; which can clash with the bitterness. Overwhelmingly fruity; knocking out the hops.
2) Defrost them first.

Raspberries wouldn't be my first choice for an IPA and I'd stick to a low amount. Say one of the regular sized frozen bags from the supermarket into the full batch.

A lad at our HBC made a raspberry IPA and it went down really well. I think its all just horses for courses hey.
I made a mango/passionfruit IPA recently whereby i dropped 2kg of pulp in to secondary.
Its only been bottled 48 hours so i cant comment on whether it is the right amount.

Smelled and tasted incredible fresh from the FV however!
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby rui » Sat Apr 08, 2017 14:07

thanks for the replies. Yesterday, i bought a can of mango fruit, 700grs, and will use 250grs. should i boil it? or just chuck it in the fv and transfer the beer on it??
i m brewing a dry stout at the moment, and will do this later, please i need your advices on this.

cheers

Planning: Raspberry Witbier, , Bitter, Porter
FV1: BIAB#41 Robust Porter
FV2:
FV3:
keg1:BIAB#39 American ipa
keg2: BIAB#38 BEST BITTER
bottled and conditioning: BIAB#37 blonde ale,
drinking: BIAB#27 American pale ale
Barril de carvalho francês (French oak barrel) fermention stage: 500L of rose wine
rui
Brewer