Can I add Calcium Carbonate to a finished beer?

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Can I add Calcium Carbonate to a finished beer?

Postby jkp » Fri Apr 07, 2017 07:59

Hi all

I recently made a 23L batch of basic wheat beer and added 2kg of apricot puree in secondary. Now it's finished the gravity is 1.014 (13 IBU so it's fairly sweet) but it tastes a touch sour, obviously from the fruit (the apricot comes through really well though). I measured the ph as 4.0 which doesn't seem all that low to be honest, yet the taste is rather close to a medium-dry cider (not the flavour but the sourness). Personally I'd be happy to drink it this way, but I'm concerned that others will feel that it's too sour. (On a side note, my most recent cider has a ph of 4.2, a little high, and yet other drinkers find it too sour despite back-sweetening to 1.010.)

Would raising the ph with Calcium Carbonate help? And how much should I add?

Cheers

Jon

jkp
Brewer

Re: Can I add Calcium Carbonate to a finished beer?

Postby Saccharomyces » Fri Apr 07, 2017 13:01

The beer and fruit were both fine before you combined them, the yeast just chewed through the sugars in the fruit that were balancing the sourness.

Messing with the pH is the wrong approach. Add back the sugars.
Saccharomyces
Brewer

Re: Can I add Calcium Carbonate to a finished beer?

Postby jkp » Fri Apr 07, 2017 15:11

The final product already has a SG of 1.014, so I thought it's not really lacking sugars.

So my options for sugars/sweetness are maltodextrin, lactose (neither of which are very sweet) or Xylitol. Any other thoughts?

I guess I'll just try a few test glasses and see what works best.

jkp
Brewer