Gelatin fining in "secondary"

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Gelatin fining in "secondary"

Postby Jeltz » Sat Apr 01, 2017 13:07

As I use a fast ferment conical I can in essence rack off to secondary by removing the sediment at the bottom. I'm going to fine my current brew which is something I've not done in years. Other than taking steps to ensure there is enough CO2 around to prevent oxidised beer are there pros and cons to fining in secondary rather than in a keg?

FWIW I'm about to remove the dry hops and crash cool for a couple of days and was intending on stirring in some gelatin whenI take the hops out.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Re: Gelatin fining in "secondary"

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Sat Apr 01, 2017 16:04

Jeltz wrote:As I use a fast ferment conical I can in essence rack off to secondary by removing the sediment at the bottom. I'm going to fine my current brew which is something I've not done in years. Other than taking steps to ensure there is enough CO2 around to prevent oxidised beer are there pros and cons to fining in secondary rather than in a keg?

FWIW I'm about to remove the dry hops and crash cool for a couple of days and was intending on stirring in some gelatin whenI take the hops out.

I always fine in the secondary. Then transfer to a bottling/kegging vessel for bulk priming. The logic is that you need the minimum deposit in your final vessel be it bottle barrel or keg. Incidentally there is no need to stir when adding the gelatine just simply pour it into the vessel and it will sink to the bottom and stay there.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Sat Apr 01, 2017 18:34

Great, have given it a go.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby robwalker » Sat Apr 01, 2017 18:43

I'd say the main pro is bottling/kegging a clearer product, and removing animal based products you might not really want to drink. If it's easy to do, go ahead!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 23:31

I used finings in my first few brews, but not since. I get very good clarity by cold crashing. Admittedly, finings clear your beer quicker, but I'm not really in such a hurry.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed
Drinking: store-bought beer as my bar is dry
Conditioning: choc-coffee oatmeal wheat stout, various ciders, cherry 'brett' brown ale, imperial Pilsner.
Fermenting: Bock (6.5%), IPA (5.5%), Pale Ale (4.5)
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby MarkF » Sun Apr 02, 2017 15:40

Interesting, I am using a Fastfermenter too, I have been racking off, removing the yeast bed in the collection pot, once fermentation goes into slow drive, about half way through, then adding finings once fermentation has finished, but the last two beers have been hazy as I left it indoors to settle for three days before kegging. But deffo add finings and let it settle for a few days before kegging, I have been adding Cambden tablets to the keg too following advice from my local brew shop as his preferred method.

I have a lager which I am going to rack to a fermenting bucket then add finings and sort of crash in my new fermenting fridge to see if I can get it clearer.

last brew i did I moved to the garage in the FF and added finings for 3 days before kegging. Didn't rack off half way through either just to see what the difference is. I am still very early days and experimenting :)

Love the FF and may have to invest in a larder fridge for controlled fermenting temperature as it won't fit into my 30+ year old fridge I am trying out ATM.
MarkF
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 20:51

Well I kegged then bottled a bunch to take away for Easter, I cant say that the gelatin did much in the fast ferment other than form a bit of a plug in the bottom. :-( Interested in the campden tablet though I didn't know about that.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby MarkF » Tue May 23, 2017 21:58

The campden tablets were to make sure any nasties left in my keg get killed and I thought the yeast too, but that may not be the case, if dry hopping I found you need to bag the hops otherwise as you found it cloggs the narrow neck.

Interestingly the brew (Landlords finest bitter) was a very nice brew, but towards the end it developed a yeasty twang, it also started off very cloudy and orange, so maybe I didn't leave it long enough.

Currently departed from the fastfermenter, brew is in a bucket in the new fermenting fridge, bit anxious, but documenting my progress, up to 7.1% on Youngs American IPA ATM :shock:
MarkF
Brewer