Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby tazuk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 20:42

going to brew this one soon sounds very very nice :D wot you guys think
not mine got it off mil the funk site :D
It Won the most popular keg award recently during the annual homebrew festival in Singapore, made possible only because of the information I gained from this group. Super tart and fruity, predominantly passionfruit with mango and hops as background flavours. Perfect for the hot and humid weather here!
Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale
5 gal batch
OG 1.045
FG 1.009
Day 0 (Brewday)
50% Maris Otter
50% Wheat Malt
Mash 60 mins @ 65°C
Boil 5 mins with 10g sea salt
Chill to 40°C
Pitch 10 pills Swanson Health Products Lactobacillus Plantarum into kettle
Purge headspace with CO2 and clingwrap
Leave at room temp 30°C
Day 1
pH 3.50
Put kettle into ferm chamber @ 20°C
Day 2
pH 3.11
Transfer into carboy + aerate
Pitch 1 pack rehydrated US-05
2g Yeast nutrient
Day 5
1kg Ponthier 100% passionfruit puree
2kg Ponthier 100% mango puree
Day 8
Dry hop
20g Mosaic
20g Citra
Day 12
Kegged
pH 3.00
4.7% abv

User avatar
tazuk
Brewer
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 17:12
Location: nottingham

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby jkp » Thu Mar 30, 2017 01:26

That sounds really interesting!

Is there a reason for not boiling before adding the US-05? I'd prefer to kill the Lacto at that point.

User avatar
jkp
Brewer
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 14:34
Location: China

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby tazuk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 09:19

its a sour forget about normal brewing this have a look on the net :)

User avatar
tazuk
Brewer
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 17:12
Location: nottingham

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby Strongarm » Thu Mar 30, 2017 09:28

I've made a few kettle sours like this and I always boil prior to pitching the yeast, otherwise the lacto won't stop. I normally aim for 3.2 - 3.4 pH, which is reasonably sour, and takes about 2 days with 6 bio kult tablets and keeping the wort around 35C, then boil to kill it all off and allow me to add any hops I want then cool as usual and pitch.

I have a couple of food blogs

Cooking The Books

Wong Kei, London
User avatar
Strongarm
Brewer
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 10:46
Location: Walthamstow

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby rlemkin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:37

Strongarm wrote:I've made a few kettle sours like this and I always boil prior to pitching the yeast, otherwise the lacto won't stop. I normally aim for 3.2 - 3.4 pH, which is reasonably sour, and takes about 2 days with 6 bio kult tablets and keeping the wort around 35C, then boil to kill it all off and allow me to add any hops I want then cool as usual and pitch.


L.Plantarum can be pretty much stopped just by dry hopping.
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby Strongarm » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:23

Interesting.

I have a couple of food blogs

Cooking The Books

Wong Kei, London
User avatar
Strongarm
Brewer
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 10:46
Location: Walthamstow

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby wearbrew » Thu Mar 30, 2017 16:24

Love the sound of that!!
User avatar
wearbrew
Brewer
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 09:52

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby Brewzee » Fri Mar 31, 2017 06:07

i never thought about useing lacto pills from a health shop thats cool and saves a few quid.
User avatar
Brewzee
Brewer
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 18:27

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby Strongarm » Fri Mar 31, 2017 09:08

Brewzee wrote:i never thought about useing lacto pills from a health shop thats cool and saves a few quid.


I use Biokult which you can get in Boots or from Amazon.

4 or 6 work fine on a 23 litre batch. Even the most expensive 30 tablet box (£9.50 at Boots) and a 6 dosage works out at £1.50, compared to £7 for a homebrew lacto. If you buy a 120 box then they're even cheaper per brew.

I use a tab of them when making kimchi or sauerkraut too, just to guarantee it gets going quickly

I have a couple of food blogs

Cooking The Books

Wong Kei, London
User avatar
Strongarm
Brewer
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 10:46
Location: Walthamstow

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby jkp » Fri Mar 31, 2017 15:31

rlemkin wrote:
Strongarm wrote:I've made a few kettle sours like this and I always boil prior to pitching the yeast, otherwise the lacto won't stop. I normally aim for 3.2 - 3.4 pH, which is reasonably sour, and takes about 2 days with 6 bio kult tablets and keeping the wort around 35C, then boil to kill it all off and allow me to add any hops I want then cool as usual and pitch.


L.Plantarum can be pretty much stopped just by dry hopping.


is there any danger of it getting into soft tubing of plastic FVs?

User avatar
jkp
Brewer
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 14:34
Location: China

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby tazuk » Fri Mar 31, 2017 15:40

Once you use you use plastic to ferment in thats it

User avatar
tazuk
Brewer
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 17:12
Location: nottingham

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby jkp » Sat Apr 01, 2017 03:16

tazuk wrote:Once you use you use plastic to ferment in thats it


That seem to give another good reason for killing the lactobacilus before fermentation.

User avatar
jkp
Brewer
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 14:34
Location: China

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby MrBoy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:43

Sounds fascinating. I never realised you soured the wort before fermenting it... Assumed you fermented as normal then left for a year to 'rot' similar to cider

via Tapatalk
User avatar
MrBoy
Brewer
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:25

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby tazuk » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:48

If you do a search on google its on brewers friend with full brew and mash etc cheers

User avatar
tazuk
Brewer
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 17:12
Location: nottingham

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby rlemkin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 22:06

jkp wrote:
tazuk wrote:Once you use you use plastic to ferment in thats it


That seem to give another good reason for killing the lactobacilus before fermentation.


Ideally you wouldn't use it again, but if you use a lacto that's very sensitive to hop then you'd probably be fine. It's Brettanomyces that you really need to watch out for.
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby jkp » Sun Apr 02, 2017 03:58

rlemkin wrote:
jkp wrote:
tazuk wrote:Once you use you use plastic to ferment in thats it


That seem to give another good reason for killing the lactobacilus before fermentation.


Ideally you wouldn't use it again, but if you use a lacto that's very sensitive to hop then you'd probably be fine. It's Brettanomyces that you really need to watch out for.


Yeah I'm aware that it isn't nearly as problematic as Brett.

You mention that L. Plantarum's activity can be stopped by dry hopping for example. I'm curious if this kills the bacteria or simply stops it. If not killed then could the final beer be classed as probiotic? That would be a great advert for sour beer drinking!

User avatar
jkp
Brewer
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 14:34
Location: China

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby Strongarm » Mon Apr 03, 2017 09:16

MrBoy wrote:Sounds fascinating. I never realised you soured the wort before fermenting it... Assumed you fermented as normal then left for a year to 'rot' similar to cider

via Tapatalk


Kettle sour, as its known, is very popular at the minute.

Some advantages are it's quick (you can sour in a day or two), as you kill off the lacto prior to racking you don't run the risk of infecting your FVs and because you sour prior to the boil you can use more hops, because lacto are sensitive to IBU and so hops can't be used much quantity if added before the lacto. It's also a tad more predictable than whacking bugs in and waiting a couple of years.

Disadvantages are the beers can be pretty one dimensional compared to stuff that is made via more traditional longer souring processes, you can mitigate this through hopping, and I've also made one where I added brett at bottling, so you get some of the funk to go with the sour like you would in a lambic, say. This worked well, although hasn't really come into it's own until 9-12 months in the bottle, so kind defeats the purpose of the quick sour method.

I have a couple of food blogs

Cooking The Books

Wong Kei, London
User avatar
Strongarm
Brewer
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 10:46
Location: Walthamstow

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby Rolfster » Sat Apr 08, 2017 17:05

I think you should switch up the yeast and do a primary fermentation with wpl 644 ..... this.... https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.p ... ductId=337
User avatar
Rolfster
Brewer
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 22:30
Location: Sheffield

Re: Passionfruit & Mango Sour Ale

Postby Strongarm » Sun Apr 09, 2017 08:37

644 does make a nice sour

I have a couple of food blogs

Cooking The Books

Wong Kei, London
User avatar
Strongarm
Brewer
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 10:46
Location: Walthamstow


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests