Cold steep earl grey?

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Cold steep earl grey?

Postby Rolfster » Wed Mar 15, 2017 09:35

Hi all

I'm making an earl grey ipa type thing on Friday.
I haven't looked to see what hops I've got, but I know I've got some American hops knocking about.

I think having done a bit if research 30 teabags should be about right for 20 liters. Anyone have any experience of this?
I'm wondering if a cold steep and then boiling or if I just add the tea bags at the end of the boil.

Any thought would be great!
Rolfster
Brewer

Re: Cold steep earl grey?

Postby graysalchemy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:00

What hops are you planning on using? You need something to compliment the burgamot oil in the tea, that's the predominant flavour coming out of earl grey. Personally I dont think a heavy hit of c hops is going to do the job they will just take over.

graysalchemy

Postby Rolfster » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:12

graysalchemy wrote:What hops are you planning on using? You need something to compliment the burgamot oil in the tea, that's the predominant flavour coming out of earl grey. Personally I dont think a heavy hit of c hops is going to do the job they will just take over.

Yes I know.
As I've said above I'm not sure what hops I've got.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:51

So I've seen a post on a different forum that suggests dry hopping..... and there is a post from one of the yeasty boys who says 4g per liter of best quality earl grey is where it's at.

I think I'm going to do a restrained cold steep onto the fv then add amother portion of earl grey most of the way through fermentation.
Go big or go home!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby jkp » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:57

one thing to be mindful of is the bitterness you'll get from the tea. I've had an Earl Grey IPA that was overly bitter for this reason.

jkp
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:15

jkp wrote:one thing to be mindful of is the bitterness you'll get from the tea. I've had an Earl Grey IPA that was overly bitter for this reason.

That's why I was wondering if a cold steep would be a good idea :thumb:

I've been doing a bit more research. Looks like marble brewery do a couple of different dry hopping with earl grey along with citra. This seems to be to prevent over bittering!
I'm looking at doing 2 dry hops with about 33g of earl grey in each.... and a cold steep addition before fermentation has kicked off in the same region......maybe.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:48

Never knowingly had a tea-hopped IPA... Might try that new Siren one to see what its like.
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Wed Mar 15, 2017 13:08

The marble brewery earl grey ipa is great. One if the nicest beers I've had!
I've been looking at the yeasty boys website and they do a similar one. Looks like my recipe isn't too far off theirs!
I need to check what I've got in stock but I'll be putting it on the recipe section for further critical reading.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 13:20

Sounds like a strange idea putting loads of tannins in your beer - we go to great lengths to ensure we don't get that taste in our beers under normal circumstances.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed
Drinking: store-bought beer as my bar is dry
Conditioning: choc-coffee oatmeal wheat stout, various ciders, cherry 'brett' brown ale, imperial Pilsner.
Fermenting: Bock (6.5%), IPA (5.5%), Pale Ale (4.5)
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 13:27

Yes my concern was not to kill the burgamot with to much other citrus hops, though with burgamot coming from an orange I suppose citrus would be appropriate. You could always use this

graysalchemy

Postby Rolfster » Wed Mar 15, 2017 14:18

graysalchemy wrote:Yes my concern was not to kill the burgamot with to much other citrus hops, though with burgamot coming from an orange I suppose citrus would be appropriate. You could always use this

I did think about getting some of that but there were a couple of threads on various forums who tried using essence /oil and said next time they would use tea instead.

HTH1975 wrote:Sounds like a strange idea putting loads of tannins in your beer - we go to great lengths to ensure we don't get that taste in our beers under normal circumstances.

Have you tried one? The one I had was really lovely.
I was asking the question to find out what other people have done. I've done a bit if research today and by cold steeping and dry hopping I'm not going to be extracting so much tannin as boiling it....Hopefully!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 00:02

I've not tried an earl grey IPA, yet - definitely interested in trying one. Just saying that the idea of it seems weird. Curious to see how the tea tannins translate in the overall mix.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed
Drinking: store-bought beer as my bar is dry
Conditioning: choc-coffee oatmeal wheat stout, various ciders, cherry 'brett' brown ale, imperial Pilsner.
Fermenting: Bock (6.5%), IPA (5.5%), Pale Ale (4.5)
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Thu Mar 16, 2017 07:12

I used 15 gs of lemon grass dry hopped for 4 days in my last pale ale, 20 ltrs. was very nice, might double amount next time and see how it is. Ive thought of tea, was gonna do a green jasmin but in end was worried about tannin as others have said.
Brewzee
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:04

graysalchemy wrote:What hops are you planning on using? You need something to compliment the burgamot oil in the tea, that's the predominant flavour coming out of earl grey. Personally I dont think a heavy hit of c hops is going to do the job they will just take over.

Looks like I'm going with amerillo and nelson sauvin. Maybe some centennial if I have not got enough. But I'm not going big on those.
I'v done a pint of cold c water with 20g of earl grey. They add bergamot oil to the tea so it smelt very strong. It was steeped for about 9 hours.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:39

So is this being added post boil?

graysalchemy

Postby rlemkin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 21:07

A while back I used Earl Grey (dry hopped) in a Belgian Wit and it came out well - http://forum.craftbrewing.org.uk/viewto ... 6&p=122660 . That was almost four teabags a gallon, but I wanted a lot of aroma and there was a heavy dry hop too.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 23:43

graysalchemy wrote:So is this being added post boil?

Yes. And then depending on taste I'm going 'dry hop' with tea as well.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun May 28, 2017 07:42

This came out really well. I cold steeped 20g in a pint and added it directly into the fv. Then once fermentation had died down I added 30g of hops (nelson sauvin and falconers flight ) and 36g of tea leaves.
It took a couple of weeks but once it had settled down a little it's been great!
Rolfster
Brewer