Wheat beer woes!

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Re: Wheat beer woes!

Postby brugen » Thu May 04, 2017 18:29

Monte,

I've made a few Belgian and South German wheat beers in my BM with reasonable success.

I add Rice Hulls as 3% of grist to aid mashing the wheat. If you don't do this at present it may be worth giving it a go to see if it helps.

Cheers

brugen
brugen
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Mon May 22, 2017 14:04

Hey, I eBIAB with a camco low watt element.

I have occasionally got this black deposit on my element, but usually after I've done a couple of brews and not cleaned the element vigorously enough.

What I do is do a boil with Oxy clean to strip the black off (takes an hour or so) so I'm back to basic element.

When I brew, I adjust the mash temp to take into account ambient grain temp and then add the grain in my bag. I then turn off the element and insulate with sleeping bag and old duvet. Most my mashes are 66'C over 90m so generally I don't worry until the temp drops to 66'c. I lift the bag, turn back on the element and raise it back to 66-67. I usually do this once.

With wheatbeers I also do decoctions on a small gas stove (take a small saucepan and boil the c**p out of it) before returning it. This also keeps the temp stable by adding a little extra warmth back in.

I think lifting the bag helps a lot when the element is on. When I do that I have no problems with burning on a clean element. It may also be the low watts per inch element as well.

I usually boil for 90m as well.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Postby Monte Cristo » Mon May 22, 2017 18:35

Thanks Tim
I don't have any issue with the bag catching the element it is the ferocious boil that does the damage when boiling my wheat beers.
I am in the process of rebuilding my peco controller to incorporate a phase angle controller as suggested by Aleman in the earlier posts. I'll post up the results when I complete it and test it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next Brew AG. 53
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Tue May 23, 2017 19:14

I use an auger PID. Not a lot of use. Once it's at 100'c it's pretty solidly on.

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Postby Monte Cristo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 17:10

Another update.
I am a patient man but my resolve has been sorely tested recently.
Several more wheat beers have bitten the dust in my quest to get this crappy boiler to produce a decent wheat beer.
This boiler has turned into triggers broom as the only original parts are the tap and the thermowell, my last replacement part was the bucket itself. After managing to get it to finally not burn the wort the tap clogged up and after around an hour to drain the thing I was somewhat frayed. At this point I dragged the wires out, tipped the remains in the drain and launched it down the garden, hence the new bucket!
To get to this stage I have done the following, added a new element and a false bottom with a silicone seal, rebuilt the controller and added a PAC controller to make the boil more civilised which does work well. I also took Robs advice of filtering the wort after the mash and cleaning out the boiler before refilling and boiling.Image
It wasn't quite finished when I took this.

Thanks for all the advice on this chaps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Previous