Temperature control after returning to kit home brew.

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Temperature control after returning to kit home brew.

Postby ericmark » Tue Mar 17, 2020 16:36

I moved house and found Morrisons beer at £0.90 for 4 cans of bitter OK only 2% but near enough so got rid of freezer and gave up home brew, but price now jumped to £1.74 so time to restart, still need to pick up rest of brewing stuff, but heating not a problem, but cooling is, will likely use the spare kitchen on the counter for fermentor. With kits at £10.50 that's the easy way to go, but I remember on starting a brew the temperature control was important and freezer always cut in, no room for new freezer or fridge, so methods to stop over heating please.
ericmark
Brewer

Re: Temperature control after returning to kit home brew.

Postby Bad 'Ed » Thu Mar 19, 2020 09:41

I use the concrete floor in my garage, that absorbs a lot of heat. As others have said elsewhere the other classics are a water bath or a wet towel.

Somewhere cold inside would be best, big swings in temperature will knacker your yeast and may make it drop out early.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby ericmark » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:40

Thank you, some one said about builders trug, so then I though not using bath to bath in, so easy enough, put formenter in the bath, and no problem emptying after just pull the plug. I was having a blond moment, this is what happens when you get older, hair goes white and you forget easy methods.
ericmark
Brewer

Postby ericmark » Sun Mar 22, 2020 13:36

Up and running in bath, just cross fingers now.
ericmark
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Mon Mar 23, 2020 09:54

Are you fermenting in the bath or just cooling post boil?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby ericmark » Mon Mar 23, 2020 15:02

I am using a kit, and idea was the bath would have enough water in it to steady the temperature of the formentor sitting in it. However it was a failure, this morning brew at 16°C far too cold, looked for my heated tile, found left at other house, so heated up again and moved into kitchen, however I fear this brew will not be very good, I think need to use a cupboard or some thing with a bulb in it to control temperature.

Since self isolating due to age, I can't go out and get what I want, so have to find a way around the problem. Well at least some thing to keep me busy while I can't do anything else.
ericmark
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed Mar 25, 2020 09:48

If it's just the fermentation temp I would have thought just putting it on a stone / concrete floor or something similar would be enough. Depending on the yeast used the brew may not get too hot anyway.

Before I had proper temp control I used to just ferment somewhere warm and let the beer get up to whatever temp it wanted to. It never really got over 20c because I was only fermenting 5galons at a time. Keeping temp up after the first few days of intensive activity was more of a problem.

If you want to reduce the temp in these first few days just use the wet towel trick. Otherwise just let the beer ferment at room temp and see what happens. It will probably be fine...

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed Mar 25, 2020 09:50

Also, if the beer has been at a low temp for a few days it might be worth giving it a quick stir with something sanitised to rouse any yeast which might have dropped out of suspension.

How has the gravity changed so far?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby bobsbeer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 20:34

I would have though with current weather you would need to introduce heat rather than cooling, so anywhere without draughts would be good.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Wed Apr 01, 2020 06:48

Im with Bob, we did have a lovely sunny week recently but there was a little frost on my window this morning so I dont think anything needs cooling. I dont use any heat or cooling I just move the container between a few spots in the house depending on requirements. I dont like it hot. Has it finished working.
Brewzee
Brewer