Mashing malted oats

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Mashing malted oats

Postby jonnymorris » Thu Jan 03, 2019 20:13

Hi,
I've been absent from this forum for a long while so, hello again fellow brewers. :cheers:

I'm planning an Oatmeal Pale Ale that calls for 625g of malted oats which amounts to c.15% of the grain bill. I've not brewed with oats before so am wondering if I'm going to have problems when it comes to the sparge... i.e. do I need to include husks to avoid a stuck sparge as I would with a significant amount of wheat?

Grain bill
Maris Otter 3,195g
Malted Oats 625g
Wheat 312g
Carahell 312g
CaraAroma 48g

Thanks,

Jon
jonnymorris
Brewer

Re: Mashing malted oats

Postby jonnymorris » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58

For what it's worth, I included 150g of oat husks in the mash and had no problems at all with the sparge. Don't know if they were necessary but better safe than sorry.
jonnymorris
Brewer

Postby john luc » Tue Jan 08, 2019 23:59

Building an Oatmeal stout recipe ATM and was wondering if you had considered using toasted oats in this brew. :hmm:
john luc
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:54

I'm planning on a recipe with 850g "naked oat malt" (Simpsons) in a 20L batch and have 1Kg of oat husks to add! But then it has 2.2Kg of rye malt too. Guess its going to be stodgy. It's this recipe https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2 ... u.html?m=1.

I'm trying the recipe to add a few more ideas to my "low-alcohol" brewing repertoire. As it stands at about 2% ABV it doesn't fit in with what I call "low-alcohol" (i.e. <0.5% ABV) but it has a few ideas to try. I was going to use BIAB techniques, but as I've just acquired a Grainfather I'll use that (using 3.5L/Kg mash thickness instead of the usual 2.7, and probably not fitting the top perforated plate 'cos there won't be enough grain to support it, and skipping the "sparging").
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 20:26

"Beer" done! Actually at 5.6L/Kg (very dilute; full brew length's water in mash so no sparge) and top perforated plate used by fixing to the GF overflow pipe with a hose clip ('cos there wasn't enough grain to support the top plate). The top plate diffused the recirculated wort and so couldn't dig up the grain bed; or that's what I guessed would happen so I opted for not doing without the plate.

There was no suggestion of the mash being excessively stodgy (there was 20% oat husk added). Perhaps this gummy oats (and rye) suggestion is a bit exaggerated?
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby john luc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 13:22

there is a micro pipe you can get for the grainfather to allow for smaller grain bills
john luc
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Sun Jan 13, 2019 18:06

john luc wrote:there is a micro pipe you can get for the grainfather to allow for smaller grain bills

I know, I've got the "micro pipe". I was sort of emulating a BIAB technique 'cos the means of heating a sparge quantity of water is "off-line" just now. And I had heard horror stories about brewing a 100% rye and oat beer. It's a "lower alcohol" batch to try some new techniques before brewing my next "low alcohol" batch with the micro pipework ("low alcohol" is 0.5% ABV to me, whereas this oat and rye batch, which mashed so successfully, is predicted to be over 2% ABV - err, I do brew real beers too). Cheers.
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby john luc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 23:16

interested to hear how you get on with your low alcohol beer
john luc
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Tue Jan 15, 2019 01:13

50 hours on and my "low(-ish) alcohol" beer has started showing signs of ferment. Now my "is it doomed" anxiety is replaced with worrying "will it explode before I get up in the morning?". I guess all my low-alcohol brews are a bit tardy getting going, it is just clearer to me this time.

Explanation: I ferment low-alcohol beers in the serving keg - avoids all the intermediate steps including "priming" which would significantly increase the alcohol content. To ferment in a keg I have to use "spunding" valves to keep the pressure under control. For "spunding" valves I use secondary relieving regulators (not all regulators have relieving mechanism that are suitable for use as "spunding" valves - I use Shako NR200s) but they do need some static back-pressure to function. And this time I've not yet supplied that back-pressure or even fitted the "spunding" valve. What all that gobble-dee-gook means is I get to see clearly how tardy these low-alcohol beers are to start fermenting, plus, I've got 20L of fermenting beer in a sealed keg.

Eeek. Wonder if I'll get any sleep tonight before dealing with it in the morning?
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Tue Jan 15, 2019 22:29

No explosions! Well the keg has a PRV - I remembered that prior to sleeping. Spunding valve now fitted:

20190115_200855_WEB.jpg
20190115_200855_WEB.jpg (87.42 KiB) Viewed 629 times

The Sodastream bottle provides the back-pressure, nothing else; looks as if it really is being used as a regulator, but it's not. You can see fermentation is under way because the gauge on the regulator/spunding-valve is reading, and maintaining, 12PSI - as a regulator it's set to 7-8PSI, the 4-5PSI extra is the over-pressure needed to trigger the relieving mechanism. The two bottles (loose caps!) are because this style of keg holds exactly 19L and I brewed 20L (plus the keg is only holding 18L for some breathing space). The dry hop cages ain't in yet; they normally would be for the usual low-alcohol attempts.

Got a taster and it is surprising how alike to a full bodied beer it tastes at this stage. Whether that's the malted oats, the malted rye or the 73-4C mash temperature I can't say … probably all three. Starting gravity 1.026, currently 1.019, a lot stronger than my usual sub-1.010 "low alcohol" beers but this is an experiment and the best techniques will be scaled down for future.

I brewed 23L of 1.061 beer today; I'm not a saint!
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 15:30

Couple of days later and fermentation seems to have levelled off at 1.016. Dry hops been in a day but no impact on samples yet. 1.016 is very high but this is good as it indicates that when scaled down to 0.5% ABV the increase in body the rye/oats give will still have an impact. The low fermentability also allows more grain to be added (flavour) without exceeding 0.5% ABV. Picture shows little change over previous, but does show the "spunding" valve is holding things steady. Also shows tap connected for SG readings and sneaky samples.
20190117_135429_WEB.jpg
20190117_135429_WEB.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 583 times

I probably need to move all this babbling to its own thread instead of hijacking this thread..
PeeBee
Brewer