No chill cube.... Again

Discuss all things about brewing beer

No chill cube.... Again

Postby Rolfster » Fri Nov 30, 2018 08:38

So I moved house last week and I've only just found out that my new house has a water meter.... Looks like I'm going back down the no chill cube road.
With a brew imminent any one got any tips?

I'm planning on filling them as full as possible
Rolling them around
Waiting 4ish hours and then adding my aroma hops in a sanitised bag

Then once it's chilled and fermenting giving them a damn good clean
Anything I've missed?
Cheers R
Rolfster
Brewer

Re: No chill cube.... Again

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Fri Nov 30, 2018 08:47

Rolfster wrote:So I moved house last week and I've only just found out that my new house has a water meter.... Looks like I'm going back down the no chill cube road.
With a brew imminent any one got any tips?

I'm planning on filling them as full as possible
Rolling them around
Waiting 4ish hours and then adding my aroma hops in a sanitised bag

Then once it's chilled and fermenting giving them a damn good clean
Anything I've missed?
Cheers R

Buy a plate chiller. Don't be frightened of a water meter. Water is not that expensive.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby vacant » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:15

Living in the South West our water is very expensive compared to some places - around £3.50 for 1,000 ltr. That works out at only 35p for 100 ltr so trivial really when added to other brew-day costs and time.

I do no-chill sometimes but always use 90% RO water from my filter. About 150 ltr waste water gets collected which I pump through my IC (if using it), then for cleaning afterwards. Makes me feel eco-righteous.

My future plans include not much
vacant
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:28

I try to be careful with water use, and will eventually go back to using my Plate Chiller and pumping from the BM ... but I intend to use a Cold Liquor Tank to supply the feed to the PC. Chill the coolant to 5 or 6C using my Maxi Chiller, then run it through the PC ... I reckon on only using 50L to chill 22/23L to pitching temp ... possibly a bit more for lagers

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Mon Dec 03, 2018 07:01

I put my FV in a plastic storage container full of water and cover it with an old tea shirt. Outside. And it cools down very quick this time of the year. Often leave water between batches / use lukewarm water to clean mash tun. The thing that put me of starting all grain...wort chillers and hoses all over the kitchin. ..never became an issue.
Brewzee
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 18:29

We switched to a water meter and even with all the water from my brewing, it still ended up cheaper than non-metered.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 18:39

TBH I'd put my 10-15 minute hop addition in at flame out then just go with dry hopping I wouldn't want to expose the wort to opening until I was ready to introduce yeast.

I've cubed several times especially in the winter. I sit it in the corner of the living room to act like a radiator! No point wasting that heat!!

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin