Extract Brew

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Extract Brew

Postby Rolfster » Mon Feb 12, 2018 21:18

Hi all

I've been very busy with work and life in general, so have not got the time or energy to do a full brew day.
We have a bit of shindig planned for Easter, so SWMBO has been bugging me to get a brew on :party: :oops: :party:

So I've decided to have a play with extract. I've order 7kgs of this from Rob https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... ight-25kg/

and I'm planning on doing my normal split brew.
half APA and half earl grey IPA.

A few questions to anyone in the know....

Full 60 minute boil? Or shorter? Longer?
Will there be lots of trub?
Any idea on the FG?
I have some speciality grains. If I steep them will they add anything to the party?

Any other thoughts would be great!

Cheers Tim
Rolfster
Brewer

Re: Extract Brew

Postby Brewzee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 08:27

60 minutes for the hops, I used to cram as much base and crystal malt into a cheesecloth, our local sari shop sells it , as possible tie it up with string and do brew in a bag thing for half an hour and drain sparge in a colander. Can't remember about trub. ..can't be more than I get from Minch malt right now. The grains were .5k crystal and about the same of Maris or a bit more if your colander is big enough it made a mahoosive difference to yeast vitality and taste.
Wow..dream wife or what .... asking you to make beer. Is that in the kitchen ?
Brewzee
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 08:36

Yes it's in the kitchen. The only limiting factor is that I do it when no one else is in! So I've got to avoid school holidays and stuff.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby sandimas » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50

Think of Extract brewing as AG brewing without the mash - same process, 60min boil with the usual hop additions etc. The jury seems to be out on whether to boil with the malt in or out, generally I add a bit of malt to the boil but not all of it. Can be especially trickly with liquid malt as it drops to the bottom of the boil pan and can burn if you don't stir it in quick enough.

You won't get nearly as much trub as you get with AG.

Definately worth steeping some speciality grains.I've got to the point where I now do a mini mash with my Extract brews with some base malt as well as speciality grains
i.e. half AG and half DME.
sandimas
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 13:34

I did a partial extract brew last weekend - just a mini mash for the speciality grains, then a 60 minute boil as usual.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Wed Feb 14, 2018 13:46

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I've put in 250g of cara gold and Maris otter and 200g of Maris otter (steeped in a pan then brought up to 80 degrees before straining and adding to the boil.

It's boiling away now. I just need to figure out how much water to add now to get it to the right strength. It seems a bit stronger than I thought!

I'm flying by the seat of my pants...... and enjoying it!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Wed Feb 14, 2018 13:46

I also need to decorate my sons birthday cake before school pick up!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Wed Feb 14, 2018 21:50

I just got it all done!
Ended up with 8 gallons of 1.056 wort.
Bittered with galena to 34 ibus (30g)
Then at flame put 17g of amarillo and styrian goldings and 20g of mandaria baveria.

Split between 2 fvs and one had cold steeped earl grey tea added. All are fermenting with us05 and clarity ferm at about 18 degrees.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Mr_Tall » Sat Feb 17, 2018 19:43

Slight derail - how does an extract brew compare to kits and all grain brewing?

I love doing AG brews, but time is a problem (I have a 4 year old kid, they eat money and time). I can find time to do kits, but they're never as good - drinkable, but nothing special.

I wonder if an extract brew would be a good compromise?
Mr_Tall
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sat Feb 17, 2018 22:57

So I started the brew at 11:30.... like that was when I dragged my boiler out if the cellar. I picked up my youngest from nursery at 3 pm and had just about finished and cleaned up. And that was a double quantity. Quality wise it's still fermenting so I don't know!
If it's good I'll definitely do it again.
Rolfster
Brewer