Dark or Extra Dark Spray Malt

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Dark or Extra Dark Spray Malt

Postby Maysie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 16:51

I like the darker end of the beer spectrum, porters, stouts and the like.
With that in mind, I usually head for the Extra Dark DME when brewing my beer (still doing kits), but am I missing a trick by overlooking the lighter shades of DME?

What sort of impact with the lighter DME's have on a dark beer?

I have just ordered my first Extract Kit with a view to having a play with that before I invest in some AG kit (when funds allow), so I have more scope to have a mess around with the DME flavours now.

TIA
Maysie
Brewer

Re: Dark or Extra Dark Spray Malt

Postby sandimas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 17:52

I never use dark DME, I always use light and darken it with steeped grains, as this adds flavour as well as colour. I wonder if anyone has done a flavour comparison of using dark DME vs light with grains, to produce the same colour beer?

What extract kit have you bought? All the ones I've used have come with light DME and grains.
sandimas
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 18:06

The extract kit is a Vanilla Porter from BrewUK. I cant see on the blurb where it says the colour of the DME, so I will have to wait to see.

So does the colour of the DME only affect the colour of the beer, ie does it have no impact on the flavour at all?
Maysie
Brewer

Postby sandimas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 18:45

Maysie wrote:The extract kit is a Vanilla Porter from BrewUK. I cant see on the blurb where it says the colour of the DME

What a coincidence, I made this last Monday! :shock: It's light DME with a very decent grain mix for steeping.

The BrewUK kits are great, I've made loads of them, but not this one. It went wild in the FV, the only one I've ever had hit the lid, I used Gervin ale yeast and hit the 1047 OG. Reckon it will be a great brew.
sandimas
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:21

You can calculate colour using beersmith or similar, dark malt extract is an ingredient on there. Usually best to get the ebc rating and adjust the ingredient so you can get an accurate idea.
Doesn't say on the muntons whether it's made with black malt or roasted barley. Black malt doesn't add a lot of flavour, roasted barley does. Light dme + steeped grains would be my preferred way of brewing because you can control exactly what goes in
robwalker
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:55

Gotta agree with Rob, I did a couple of extracts a few years back and made the mistake of getting dark extract for one of them, you have no idea what's in them so it's hard to then decide what to add in to create something specific, whereas the light extract is a great "plain" base and most of the darker beer recipes on the net and in books seem to take this approach too.
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:24

Top tips!
Thank you.
Maysie
Brewer