Sugar tax

Sugars, finings and anything else

Sugar tax

Postby Dennis King » Wed Mar 16, 2016 22:25

So the government are planning to impose a tax on sugar based soft drinks, is this the thin end of the wedge? How long before they decide to tax all forms of sugar with a knock on effect for brewing/winemaking.
Dennis King

Re: Sugar tax

Postby GrowlingDog » Wed Mar 16, 2016 23:46

I was thinking where this could lead. I don't have a problem as such with the concept of trying to reduce the amount of sugar that kids are consuming, but I'm not really convinced that is going to solve the problem.

Where will it end, will all sugar products end up carrying a duty.

The question is, even if sugar products were taxed, that may affect kit and extract brewers but would it affect all grain brewers, Malt isn't sugar until we have converted it in the mash.
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby graysalchemy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 09:28

It also depends on how they define 'sugar' as well, would honey be taxed?

graysalchemy

Postby supersteve » Thu Mar 17, 2016 09:31

They have given present main stream big companies 2 years to reduce the sugar to avoid such a tax.. they have also said they won't target small business products.. So as long as they have these same procedures for all future sugar tax's I don't think there is much to worry about.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby Goulders » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:03

This is clearly aimed at kids, ie fizzy drinks, including caffeine drinks. The amount of sugar in those things is ridiculous. Saying that, some hot drinks in Costa etc were found to have around 25 tsp of sugar in them.
Goulders
Brewer

Postby GrowlingDog » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:16

It is aimed at kids currently, but it could be the thin end of the wedge.

As a society we do eat far too much sugar, we don't need sugar in our diet, and we would all be healthier without it so it could spread to more things if this is proven to be a successful approach.
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby supersteve » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:41

Should also cut back on salt in food.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:44

Salt tax on crisps and peanuts next.

graysalchemy

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:00

GrowlingDog wrote:It is aimed at kids currently, but it could be the thin end of the wedge.

As a society we do eat far too much sugar, we don't need sugar in our diet, and we would all be healthier without it so it could spread to more things if this is proven to be a successful approach.

I heard it supposed to be aimed at kids, but then they went and added "gin and tonic" to the list..!
I genuinely had no idea how much sugar was in tonic water tbh.
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:29

I think the government has pretty well been handed this on a plate by recent campaigning from Jamie Oliver et al.

It is an easy revenue grab for the treasury while being seen to 'proactively look after the little kiddies health'. Its a political win-win (arguably).

As others have already said though, what is next?
Salt?
Fat?
Processed meat?

It does seem to be a tad daft that the government are needed to legislate in order to protect children from their parents nowadays?!
Maysie
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:40

Any money they make, which they claim will go towards school sports and the like.. should actually be used to subsidise heathier food.. cheaper fruit and veg etc..
supersteve
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Thu Mar 17, 2016 15:03

Maysie wrote:
As others have already said though, what is next?
Salt?
Fat?
Processed meat?

It does seem to be a tad daft that the government are needed to legislate in order to protect children from their parents nowadays?!

The next thing really ought to be VAT on ready meals.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby GrowlingDog » Thu Mar 17, 2016 15:11

Jeltz wrote:The next thing really ought to be VAT on ready meals.

You can't do that.

Now the govenrnment are getting rid of Meals on Wheels for old people they will be relying on ready meals as it's the only thing the carers can heat up for them in the 3.75467 minutes per day they have to spend with each person.
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 15:11

supersteve wrote:Any money they make, which they claim will go towards school sports and the like.. should actually be used to subsidise heathier food.. cheaper fruit and veg etc..

Couldn't agree more. I'd eat more healthy if it wasn't so expensive!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby aamcle » Thu Mar 17, 2016 16:08

If you want "healthy food" its either pay cash or in time.
It can be cheap but that sort of food prep takes a lot longer than bunging a ready meal into the oven.

Aamcle
aamcle
Brewer

Postby tony » Thu Mar 17, 2016 16:37

Aimed at kids, but then again, this ****ing government treat us all like kids. It really is the 'nanny state'
tony
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 17:13

tony wrote:Aimed at kids, but then again, this ****ing government treat us all like kids. It really is the 'nanny state'

I agree, but from what I see on the TV and in schools, there seems to be a fair percentage of parents that aren't capable of proper/appropriate parenting, so the Teachers/Police/NHS etc all end up picking up the pieces if the Government doesn't act in an attempt to avoid the future financial burden.

Whether it will work or not though..... :hmm:
Maysie
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Thu Mar 17, 2016 19:44

GrowlingDog wrote:
Jeltz wrote:The next thing really ought to be VAT on ready meals.

You can't do that.

Now the govenrnment are getting rid of Meals on Wheels for old people they will be relying on ready meals as it's the only thing the carers can heat up for them in the 3.75467 minutes per day they have to spend with each person.

At one time the WRVS provided the meals on wheels service around here; I have some knowledge of how it worked locally as back in the 80's my mother helped prepare them with other women in a commercial kitchen and I went out on the deliveries in school holidays. As health and safety law crept in the council took over, they weren't happy with a bunch of amateurs cooking so out sourced to pre-made frozen meals which simply had to be cooked through and put a couple of council employees in charge of the volunteers they also stopped the helpers doing the deliveries and sent round a van of their own. The irony was that amongst the bunch of amateurs my mother was a trained domestic science teacher, the person in charge was a retired chef and there were 2 former school dinner ladies (plus a few more helpers) so they were really only amateurs in so much as they didn't require paying. Eventually they phased out the volunteers, who were all deeply upset that they were treated as worthless but now they are phasing out the service.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin