Invert Syrups

Sugars, finings and anything else

Invert Syrups

Postby Kyle_T » Wed Mar 16, 2016 16:46

Good afternoon,

As some of you who frequent Jim's will know I have been looking into finding a supplier of Liquid Brewers Invert No. 1, 2 & 3, this is due to Ragus only supplying 25kg crystalline blocks through the baking wholesaler 'BAKO' in South East London.

Brewers Invert is a underrated and some times frowned upon brewing ingredient, I believe it is a key ingredient in brewing classic English beers but finding a supply makes it less than worth the trouble.

I need to see how much demand/interest there is to see these syrups supplied to the home brewing market should a manufacturer be willing to supply it. I have seen many request for suppliers but as of yet, not much has happened, but a demand is there.

I have already emailed Ragus and I'm waiting for a response and ASR who I'm current having dealings with, so far they have been extremely helpful and I'm now in touch with the sales team. They are having talks with Murphy & Sons about taking stock but as of yet it has not been mentioned as to whether we will be able to access this stock.

I have left a message for Rob (The Malt Miller) about the possibility of creating a supply link to us but it would again be subject to demand and repackaging.

If you would like to see these on the open market please say so.

Thank you.

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2018): 0.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Re: Invert Syrups

Postby supersteve » Wed Mar 16, 2016 16:49

How do you use it and what does it add to the beer?
supersteve
Brewer

Postby Kyle_T » Wed Mar 16, 2016 16:58

It is a fully inverted cane sugar syrup that you add to beer either during the mash, the boil or post fermentation. Depending on the number of the syrup it will add anything from just colour and specific gravity to body, colour, flavour and gravity.

They were and in some cases, still are used by many big breweries in a range of English beers. Many people try to replicate this by mixing Golden Syrup and Blackstrap Molasses because as of yet, there is no regular manufacturer, supplier or reseller from the home brewing market.

Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby supersteve » Wed Mar 16, 2016 17:09

I've always been interested in doing a real nice bitter, and if this would help me succeed then I'd certainly buy it when the time was right.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Wed Mar 16, 2016 17:15

I would be interested.
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Wed Mar 16, 2016 17:24

I would, but probably no more than a kilo of each syrup per year
:thumb:

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby legionuk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 17:34

I'm would be, it would be good if the maltmiller could stock them.

Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 19:30 Tuesday 30 August
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers
legionuk
Brewer

Postby oz11 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 17:43

Interested on an occasional basis, certainly :thumb:

FV:
Cond: Oatmeal Stout, US Amber
On MiniKeg: Dogbolter, Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, 1930's Stout
Bottled: Triple Stout, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, Exmoor Gold, Fuggles/EKG Bitter, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, Autumn Mild, US Stout, SNPA, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk - Pubs visited, beer drunk.

http://www.rockinrobinbrewery.co.uk/
oz11
Brewer

Location: Brewing at the multi-award winning Rockin Robin Brewery

Postby stevelmu » Wed Mar 16, 2016 17:57

Yes for me!
stevelmu
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Wed Mar 16, 2016 18:46

Great work Kyle, one problem with Murphy's is they have stopped selling to homebrewers however I believe they do supply via a third party.
Dennis King

Postby Kyle_T » Wed Mar 16, 2016 18:57

Funny you mention that Dennis, I received a text message from Jamie at Murphy's today and he has asked for me to ring him on Monday to discuss the subject.

Here's hoping :thumb:

Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby Good Ed » Wed Mar 16, 2016 23:57

Yes please Kyle, good work :thumb:

Here's to the man who drinks strong ale,
and goes to bed quite mellow.
Lives as he ought to live,
and dies a jolly good fellow.
- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby chastuck » Thu Mar 17, 2016 08:53

I'm in if the quantities are suitable.
chastuck
Brewer

Postby Kyle_T » Thu Mar 17, 2016 18:36

It would seem we have some success, I received a phone call from Ragus and had a brief discussion about the plan to reintroduce invert syrups back into the market and shortly after I received this email:

Hi Kyle,

Nice to speak with you earlier.

I do hope that Ragus will be able to assist in some way.

As syrup is the way to go, I would suggest Ragus product IN04 Invert Sugar Syrup OL78. The product is available in 25kg pails from a nationwide wholesaler. I can put you in touch if required and have shown the web address below for your reference.

Brewers have used invert sugar syrup, darkened to suit with cane molasses (Ragus product TM03, also available via the wholesaler) with success.

http://www.bakoselect.co.uk/contact

Please give me a call or email when you are ready to proceed.

Kind regards
Theresa

I have sent an email back just ask if they or their wholesalers would be able to supply a pre-mixed product to the original Brewers Inverts No. 1, 2 & 3 ratios and what sort of order size they will expect if I can get a retailer on board. She was even kind enough to offer to send me a product sample!

I will still be calling Murphy's on Monday to see what assistance they will be able to offer.

Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby Good Ed » Thu Mar 17, 2016 22:49

Kyle_T wrote:It would seem we have some success, I received a phone call from Ragus and had a brief discussion about the plan to reintroduce invert syrups back into the market and shortly after I received this email:

Hi Kyle,

Nice to speak with you earlier.

I do hope that Ragus will be able to assist in some way.

As syrup is the way to go, I would suggest Ragus product IN04 Invert Sugar Syrup OL78. The product is available in 25kg pails from a nationwide wholesaler. I can put you in touch if required and have shown the web address below for your reference.

Brewers have used invert sugar syrup, darkened to suit with cane molasses (Ragus product TM03, also available via the wholesaler) with success.

http://www.bakoselect.co.uk/contact

Please give me a call or email when you are ready to proceed.

Kind regards
Theresa

I have sent an email back just ask if they or their wholesalers would be able to supply a pre-mixed product to the original Brewers Inverts No. 1, 2 & 3 ratios and what sort of order size they will expect if I can get a retailer on board. She was even kind enough to offer to send me a product sample!

I will still be calling Murphy's on Monday to see what assistance they will be able to offer.

It would seem that this is no different to making your own invert #1 (which is very easy) and adding molasses (available at health food shops).

Here's to the man who drinks strong ale,
and goes to bed quite mellow.
Lives as he ought to live,
and dies a jolly good fellow.
- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer