Cinnamon in beer

Sugars, finings and anything else

Cinnamon in beer

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 18, 2015 16:45

I'm looking at making a mild on Friday, as I want something ready for xmas and time's running out.

I'm going to get some cinnamon sticks off rob (malt miller) and wondered how best to use them?

Is it better in the FV - if so, how is best to sanitise? or will putting them in the boil be ok? Also how much to use?

Finally, is it one of those things that takes ages for the flavours to condition? If so, it would probably defeat the purpose of making a mild.

Thanks in advance
Mark

@chesterbrewr
Mark
Brewer

Re: Cinnamon in beer

Postby bochgoch » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:29

Two ways with spices I'm aware of - add at the end of the boil (last 5 mins or so) or make a tea with them, boil, cool and add to the fv or secondary after fermentation.

I had a lovely Meantime spiced porter last night which has cinnamon and all spice
bochgoch
Brewer

Postby cononthebarber » Sat Nov 21, 2015 13:10

Do as OP says or you can steep the sticks in vodka or whisky for a couple of days and then pitch the spirit into the FV after ferment has finished

Getting ready for The Homebrew Festval 2017 - Click HERE for more info :thumb:
cononthebarber
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 15:55

The best way with spices is to add them at the end of fermentation when you have an idea of what the vase ale tastes like. Then add your spices in a small muslin bag and leave them in a day or too and the taste. Once you think you are near to the taste you want take the spices out. Don't be tempted to leave it longer spices can very quickly over power. Spice in beer should whisper to you not shout in your face at you.

graysalchemy

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 22, 2015 23:52

Thanks for the replies. Are the sticks okay in whole or will they need grating?

I'm going to take a gallon out of the fv after fermentation and experiment with that rather than risk the whole batch. If it goes well, i'll upscale it to the whole batch next time.

@chesterbrewr
Mark
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:16

Whole will be fine, probably better in fact as it will dissipate more slowly giving you time to get the balance right.

graysalchemy

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 23, 2015 16:44

graysalchemy wrote:Whole will be fine, probably better in fact as it will dissipate more slowly giving you time to get the balance right.

Thanks. Ill get my mrs to sew me a bag for the stick so I can hoist it out when i'm happy with the amount of flavour.

Do you think if I put the bag and the cinnamon to soak in vodka for a few days that would be safe enough or should the bag be sanitised separately?

@chesterbrewr
Mark
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 19:45

I boil up the bag and stick the spices in boiling water for a few minutes.

graysalchemy

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 23, 2015 21:16

graysalchemy wrote:I boil up the bag and stick the spices in boiling water for a few minutes.

Thanks. No spirit soaking then?

@chesterbrewr
Mark
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 21:43

I have never bothered.

graysalchemy